underhood worklight

old guy with old eyes been shopping for underhood work light + looking for real opinions from anyone using one. most interested in ones that are attached under the vehicles hood + so far the ATD 80357 is in the lead. thanks for replies!

Another vote for the Milwaukee M12.

Attachments

• 400EE4F7-8E79-4A1B-8BE5-827B21E23B65.jpeg
    400EE4F7-8E79-4A1B-8BE5-827B21E23B65.jpeg
    168.8 KB · Views: 59
I have one similar to the Milwaukee it’s a long bar style branded Popular Mechanics originally from Walmart I believe very handy and bright. I also have several smaller ones made by Prime Light which I believe came from Napa I got them for Christmas they work excellent too.

Wow.....specialized. I just use this:

It also kept my front faucet from freezing 2 weeks ago.

Has it's uses but, I had one and it didn't stay clamped onto anything thin.
$6.99 in stock inside a Home Depot.

I use a 400 lumen rechargeable headlamp. Yep, I look like a complete dork wearing it, but it provides bright, useable task lighting no matter where I am - looking up from under the car, peering into some part, or working from the top. It's rechargeable so that I'm not burning through AAAs all the time.

With just that light, I am good. I have about 15 overhead light fixtures, so there is a lot of light in my work space, and when I have the bright task lighting aligned with my eyes, I really don't have use for anything more.

Headlamps are very handy too. I have two of them. I wear them over my hat I have a Lux Pro from Lowe’s that is very bright also has red and green if you prefer those colors too.

Harbor Freight has an led rechargable one with magetic hangers around $40. I was thinking about getting one since working on a car during the Texas summer is brutal.
I have theirs; it's pretty good for my use. Can't just pop a new battery into it like the Milwaukee but it lasts as long as I've needed it to.

I'm also a big head lamp guy.

I have theirs; it's pretty good for my use. Can't just pop a new battery into it like the Milwaukee but it lasts as long as I've needed it to.

I'm also a big head lamp guy.
Yea It has its limitations ut the milwaukee one is almost $300 you could buy 2 lights at HF and recharge one while you use one. Normally I wouldn't balk at buying expensive tools but $300 for a light seems excessive, just my opinion.

I have all sorts of lights. I recently picked up the HF rechargeable one. It’s like a fluorescent bulb. Pretty good but I still use a Fenix flashlight to supplement.
The HF light is a Braun.

I honestly hate those overly bright underhood tubes and prefer simple magnetic, clamp, and hook. Can't go wrong with the $10 shiny one posted by wylie and skyactiv... think I have one that is older than most members here and is pretty bright with a 100w equivalent LED bulb.

My favorite is the 1200 and I don't ever touch exterior of paint finish(no ATD or M12 hood scratchers here):

OP clearly states he wants the one attached to the hood.
old guy with old eyes been shopping for underhood work light + looking for real opinions from anyone using one. most interested in ones that are attached under the vehicles hood + so far the ATD 80357 is in the lead. thanks for replies!

Harbor Freight has an led rechargable one with magetic hangers around $40. I was thinking about getting one since working on a car during the Texas summer is brutal.
That HF light is great- appears to be designed by ppl that actually use it. Replaceable 18650 battery, too. However, switch doesn't last long. Great light but cant switch it on, in my experience having owned two. Multiple sku numbers indicating multiple manufacteurs. Maybe some are better than others, like chicom vs. taiwan

Best headlamp I have used has to be the Milwuakee Rechargable. The trueview light color makes wire colors accurate and battery life on medium flood is 8hrs+ on my 4 yr old headlamp. Medium is more than bright enough for any task within arms reach.

For under hood lighting I have to say this contraption is the best yet! Never have to worry about batteries, tons of light and little to no shadowing. It is a MOOG hood clamp with a 4ft LED Sams Club shop light thats been screwed to a PVC pipe to fit the clamps on the adjustable hood clamp. It can be used for interior as well. Just open both doors and clamp it to the roof line. Works on most cars depending on the pillar design.

This is the best picture I have of it, it is resting on the radiator support of this BMW. But you get the idea.

Hood Light.jpg

Back