Underdog or darkhorse collectible cars...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mopar_monkey
pacer and gremlin, everyone scrapped them so there aren't many of them left, we all still talk about them and not to mention "Wyans world"

To each their own, but the reason AMC went under was because they built lousy, ugly, forgettable cars to begin with. Maybe a 360 or a 401 Javelin is worth something today, but that's about it.

All things change, but the cars bringing big $$$$ now are rare, big block muscle cars from 1965 to 1973. Oldsmobile 442's, Big Block Chevelles, GTO's / Firebirds, Mustangs and a few Mopars.

Originally Posted By: Scdevon
Originally Posted By: mopar_monkey
pacer and gremlin, everyone scrapped them so there aren't many of them left, we all still talk about them and not to mention "Wyans world"

To each their own, but the reason AMC went under was because they built lousy, ugly, forgettable cars to begin with. Maybe a 360 or a 401 Javelin is worth something today, but that's about it.

All things change, but the cars bringing big $$$$ now are rare, big block muscle cars from 1965 to 1973. Oldsmobile 442's, Big Block Chevelles, GTO's / Firebirds, Mustangs and a few Mopars.

your forgetting the nash metropolitan which is very collectible and was the pacer of it's day.

I know a lot here will thnk this is nuts, but here goes:

1986-87 Oldsmobile Firenza GT Hatchback.

Go ahead, try to find one, I DARE ya!

1958 Chrysler 300 D. Last of the original 392 hemis.

My favorite, which I could not afford, was the 1956-57 Lincoln MK 2(I think that is the correct Mark for those years). I don't see very many for sale.

74 Chevelle Malibu. You don't see too many for sale, they still looked pretty nice, and could be made to perform for not a whole lot of money. If I could only find one...

Originally Posted By: addyguy

Pictures please

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

For example, the 1989 Mustang GT was 13 grand new. I have a friend selling his for $12. Stock motor, clean car, lower mileage. I've seen plenty in that price bracket; some higher.

Yes, 13K base price in US dollars, before taxes, options and all other additional expenses. They sold for much more in Canada. I remember in 1990 when my cousin bought a brand new well equipped GT. His car was out the door well over $20K in CDN dollars. I'd have to check with him on the exact price (he still has the car and the window sticker).

That said, even if these cars are selling close to their base price, once you factor in inflation, it doesn’t look so great. There aren’t too many stock Mustangs past the early 70’s that will sell for the price of a 2010 Mustang sells for new.

I am actually surprised at how cheap the 1987-93 Mustangs sell for considering their following. I am also surprise pristine stock examples aren’t worth more since these cars seem to be cars are almost always modded.

Corvette ZR1's (1989-95) haven't really seemed to grow much in price. I remember when they came out they seemed like a sure collectible.

Interesting cars from the 80's that the big three put out still haven't really taken off. Cars like the Turbo and Supercharged T-birds, Monte Carlo SS, Shelby Chrysler's, SVO Mustang all seem to be off the collectors radar.

I am surprised that some of the last traditonal big American sedans are also worth next to nothing. LTD's, Caprices, Diplomats/Fury's from the late 70's and 80's were some of the best cars of that era, and last of the true American large sedans.

well the above listed 80s cars lacked one thing, major performance. The Shelby Chrysler is one of the most disappointing things to ever be badged a Shelby.

The only car listed that i personally think is a real collector is the Monty Carlo SS. last of the true GM full size performers

Originally Posted By: silverrat
Originally Posted By: addyguy

Pictures please

I can't paste one quick, but in this link there are adds for Firenza's:

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://www.productioncars.com/send_file.php/ad_olds_frienza_gt_red_1987.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.productioncars.com/vintage-ads.php/Oldsmobile/Firenza&usg=__EogsamBIWO0NNAIlVNGUo0uq2EM=&h=921&w=672&sz=274&hl=en&start=3&zoom=1&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=gYFIRowhrHjonM:&tbnh=147&tbnw=107&prev=/images%3Fq%3Doldsmobile%2Bfirenza%2Bgt%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26tbs%3Disch:1

The bottom add is the one I'm talking about - the 1986-87 Olds Firenza GT V-6 hatchback - Old's version of the Cavalier Z-24. I think something like 2,000 were made, and most were driven into the ground.

Like I said, good luck finding one. I've seen two in my driving life.

Originally Posted By: Dualie
Sadly just because its rare, doesn't make it desirable / valuable

This is the sad truth for most of us!

1981 Honda Civic Wagon (oh noez he are mentions teh foreignz!11)
27.gif

Originally Posted By: Scdevon
I can't think of one American car since 1973 that has appriciated in value even one penny. MAYBE Buick Grand Nationals, but not by much.

Ford GT

There were just too many 5.0's made to make them very collectable at this point.

Wait some more years for more to get wrecked/rusted/whatever.

Still just too common to fetch a premium price me thinks.

Originally Posted By: Oldswagon
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

For example, the 1989 Mustang GT was 13 grand new. I have a friend selling his for $12. Stock motor, clean car, lower mileage. I've seen plenty in that price bracket; some higher.

Yes, 13K base price in US dollars, before taxes, options and all other additional expenses. They sold for much more in Canada. I remember in 1990 when my cousin bought a brand new well equipped GT. His car was out the door well over $20K in CDN dollars. I'd have to check with him on the exact price (he still has the car and the window sticker).

That said, even if these cars are selling close to their base price, once you factor in inflation, it doesn’t look so great. There aren’t too many stock Mustangs past the early 70’s that will sell for the price of a 2010 Mustang sells for new.

I am actually surprised at how cheap the 1987-93 Mustangs sell for considering their following. I am also surprise pristine stock examples aren’t worth more since these cars seem to be cars are almost always modded.

As somebody else stated, there are still a lot of them out there, that's why. They aren't rare enough yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back