Under valve cover pics 97 Civic

JC1

Got the valve adjustment done last night. Thanks to all that provided their expert advice on the job.

Car has 215k kms or 133k miles. Oil for most of its life was regular Mobil 1 5w-30, past 4-5 years been Pennzoil Platinum for winter 5w-30 and VWB 5w-30 for summer. Running Fram Ultras for oil filter, prior to that Napa gold's.

Enjoy the pics
IMG_20201010_213942.jpg
IMG_20201010_212816.jpg
IMG_20201010_202521.jpg
IMG_20201010_202517.jpg
IMG_20201010_212833.jpg

Very nice! Had a F22B2 Honda that was very similar to yours, and the tappet valve adjustments were very easy.

Reactions: JC1
Do you like the Fram Ultra pretty well? I’ve heard mixed things on them from several different people including fellow auto mechanics like me I have heard things like them rusting on the inside and stuff like that so I wasn’t sure. I have always used Bosch or Wix or Puralator. And your engine looks amazing.

Do you like the Fram Ultra pretty well? I’ve heard mixed things on them from several different people including fellow auto mechanics like me I have heard things like them rusting on the inside and stuff like that so I wasn’t sure. I have always used Bosch or Wix or Puralator. And your engine looks amazing.
Thanks. Switched to the Ultra a few years ago after looking at numerous C&P here of many Ultras. Many of our members used to love Purolator's then they got the nickname of tear-o-lator because of the numerous tears inside the pleats. I don't want any tears in my filters and the Ultras having synthetic media and wire backed media (for the cans) or plastic mesh backed for the cartridge filters adds another layer of protection that I prefer. I normally run these filters for 2-3 OCI. On the civic I ran the filter for a two full years which is about 12-13k miles.

Thanks. Switched to the Ultra a few years ago after looking at numerous C&P here of many Ultras. Many of our members used to love Purolator's then they got the nickname of tear-o-lator because of the numerous tears inside the pleats. I don't want any tears in my filters and the Ultras having synthetic media and wire backed media (for the cans) or plastic mesh backed for the cartridge filters adds another layer of protection that I prefer. I normally run these filters for 2-3 OCI. On the civic I ran the filter for a two full years which is about 12-13k miles.
Dang never heard about the Puralator ones doing that. That is good to know. I use Castrol GTX 10W-40 in my truck it’s conventional so that’s probably why I haven’t used the Fram Ultra that and heard bad things on them but if people here like them then I will give them a try. Just my opinion but I’d never leave a filter on multiple oil changes but if you are comfortable doing that then that’s fine. The main reason I don’t like to do it is my sister’s husband has a 2007 Toyota Corolla and he left his filter on for two changes and then one day he was going down the road and if flew off and when he went to pick it up it was swelled up big time. It was a Fram regular filter.

Dang never heard about the Puralator ones doing that. That is good to know. I use Castrol GTX 10W-40 in my truck it’s conventional so that’s probably why I haven’t used the Fram Ultra that and heard bad things on them but if people here like them then I will give them a try. Just my opinion but I’d never leave a filter on multiple oil changes but if you are comfortable doing that then that’s fine. The main reason I don’t like to do it is my sister’s husband has a 2007 Toyota Corolla and he left his filter on for two changes and then one day he was going down the road and if flew off and when he went to pick it up it was swelled up big time. It was a Fram regular filter.

If it was swelled then it was restricted by either being completely full of sludge or the oil pump bypass malfunctioned, causing it to see pressures it was never designed to see. Neither of those things are the fault of the filter.

If it was swelled then it was restricted by either being completely full of sludge or the oil pump bypass malfunctioned, causing it to see pressures it was never designed to see. Neither of those things are the fault of the filter.
Oh ok. I haven’t dealt with issues like that as a mechanic so that’s good to know it wasn’t the filter. It hasn’t done it since then and he does the same thing because he doesn’t believe in changing the filter after 200,000 miles because his dad who isn’t a mechanic told him not too lol.

Oh ok. I haven’t dealt with issues like that as a mechanic so that’s good to know it wasn’t the filter.

I think it was the Ford Modular that used to have a tendency to have the pressure relief stick, this would cause ballooned filters, particularly in fleets that used a mixed fleet lube in the engines like a 15w-40. It's not common, but it does happen.

Also, on your GTX conventional use, nothing stopping you from using the Ultra with that lube. It's an excellent filter and a good choice regardless of what is in the sump. There are other synthetic media filters on the market, but the Ultra is typically the best deal and available for the broadest number of applications. I use a Fleetguard Stratapore on the 351W GT40 in our Supra (boat) for example, which is another glass media filter, but applications are limited as Fleetguard primarily makes diesel filters.

It's always good to cut open the oil filter after use if you don't know the condition of the motor.

As Overkill mentioned you can use a synthetic oil filter with conventional oil. I current have VWB in the civic and will switch back to Pennzoil Ultra at the end of November and then stay with synthetic oil from now on.

What your Brother In law experienced is not normal, sounds like a neglected motor or maintenance routine.

I've posted a link to the last Ultra used on the Civic.

Here is the link for the ultra used on my Caravan if you are interested

It's always good to cut open the oil filter after use if you don't know the condition of the motor.

As Overkill mentioned you can use a synthetic oil filter with conventional oil. I current have VWB in the civic and will switch back to Pennzoil Ultra at the end of November and then stay with synthetic oil from now on.

What your Brother In law experienced is not normal, sounds like a neglected motor or maintenance routine.

I've posted a link to the last Ultra used on the Civic.

Here is the link for the ultra used on my Caravan if you are interested
Those look great you keep your engines very clean. When I first got the B2200 the maintenance had been very neglected on it so I take care of it regularly now. My BIL isn’t the best for maintenance on his car at all and it engine is very slugged.

Those look great you keep your engines very clean. When I first got the B2200 the maintenance had been very neglected on it so I take care of it regularly now.
Thanks. A lot of the knowledge and expertise came from our fellow members and their experience and sharing of best practices.

Use a good filter and oil and change at reasonable intervals and your vehicles will run well.

Thanks. A lot of the knowledge and expertise came from our fellow members and their experience and sharing of best practices.

Use a good filter and oil and change at reasonable intervals and your vehicles will run well.
Yes I am a mechanic by trade I’m still younger but I have learned a lot here that I didn’t know. My dad has a 2004 Camry with 275,000 on it and it’s going great we have had it for 10 years regular maintenance and it has done great the previous owner used my dealership for service and all work that had to be done.

Looks really good. I have always used Mobil one in just about everything.
I had 87 Shelby Lancer #24 for a lot of years. It used Mobil 1 since day one. I pulled apart at 200,000 to rebuild it. It was so clean, I was sold after that.

Back