Under valve cover pics 97 Civic

Do you like the Fram Ultra pretty well? I’ve heard mixed things on them from several different people including fellow auto mechanics like me I have heard things like them rusting on the inside and stuff like that so I wasn’t sure. I have always used Bosch or Wix or Puralator. And your engine looks amazing.
Rusting on the inside? Sounds like people thought they could leave it on for the 25k miles or whatever they rate it for, with nothing but short trips.

I actually saw an oil filter rust through and leak profusely on a 2005 Impala taxi which had its oil change 60k miles/2 years before. Maybe they didn't bother changing the filter on the previous oil change either who knows.

Rusting on the inside? Sounds like people thought they could leave it on for the 25k miles or whatever they rate it for, with nothing but short trips.

I actually saw an oil filter rust through and leak profusely on a 2005 Impala taxi which had its oil change 60k miles/2 years before. Maybe they didn't bother changing the filter on the previous oil change either who knows.
But the "rust through" filter rusted from the outside in, right? How could a filter once used rust from the inside out? The ones AutoMechanic is referring to would be new I would think, how could you even see the rust once the filter had been used?

Got the valve adjustment done last night. Thanks to all that provided their expert advice on the job.

Car has 215k kms or 133k miles. Oil for most of its life was regular Mobil 1 5w-30, past 4-5 years been Pennzoil Platinum for winter 5w-30 and VWB 5w-30 for summer. Running Fram Ultras for oil filter, prior to that Napa gold's.

Enjoy the pics
View attachment 31456View attachment 31457View attachment 31458View attachment 31459View attachment 31460
Love that engine.
One of my personal favs.

It was rusting on the inside while on the shelf of the store. It was all over the internet about that problem and I went to Walmart to verify.

But the "rust through" filter rusted from the outside in, right? How could a filter once used rust from the inside out? The ones AutoMechanic is referring to would be new I would think, how could you even see the rust once the filter had been used?
That’s correct new on the shelf. There are lots of videos on it and stuff they were rusting on the shelf waiting to be sold.

It was rusting on the inside while on the shelf of the store. It was all over the internet about that problem and I went to Walmart to verify.

That would happen to any steel canned filter, regardless of brand, if exposed to moisture/humidity and allowed to sit for an extended duration. This can be guarded against by having the filter shrink wrapped, so it'll depend on the OEM's policy on packaging as to how that plays out. There are many filters on the market that are just in a cardboard box, so those would be no less resistant to rusting internally under the same conditions as the FRAM ones.

That would happen to any steel canned filter, regardless of brand, if exposed to moisture/humidity and allowed to sit for an extended duration. This can be guarded against by having the filter shrink wrapped, so it'll depend on the OEM's policy on packaging as to how that plays out. There are many filters on the market that are just in a cardboard box, so those would be no less resistant to rusting internally under the same conditions as the FRAM ones.
I can’t remember if the Fram are wrapped or not I haven’t used one in so long ever since I seen that.

I can’t remember if the Fram are wrapped or not I haven’t used one in so long ever since I seen that.

They aren't. I have several Ultra's in my basement, they are all just naked in boxes. None of them have any rust in them because the humidity in my basement is well regulated.

EDIT:

What part of the filter were you seeing the rust on? The base plate, centre tube or? Because you can't see the wall of the can through the exit hole, the media is in the way.

Last edited:
They aren't. I have several Ultra's in my basement, they are all just naked in boxes. None of them have any rust in them because the humidity in my basement is well regulated.

EDIT:

What part of the filter were you seeing the rust on? The base plate, centre tube or? Because you can't see the wall of the can through the exit hole, the media is in the way.
The bottom just looking through the hole at the top the bottom of the filter was rusty on the shelves on everyone that they had

The bottom just looking through the hole at the top the bottom of the filter was rusty on the shelves on everyone that they had
That's not the bottom, that'd be the leaf spring/bypass valve combo, which holds the media up against the top sealing surface of the can. Probably best to look at one of the exploded view/teardown pictures of one of the filters in the oil filter section to get a better sense of what you'd have been looking at.

Also, since the FRAM (non-Ultra) filters do not have metal end caps, you may very well have been looking at the composite base plate that the media adheres to, which would be brown in colour.

That's not the bottom, that'd be the leaf spring/bypass valve combo, which holds the media up against the top sealing surface of the can. Probably best to look at one of the exploded view/teardown pictures of one of the filters in the oil filter section to get a better sense of what you'd have been looking at.

Also, since the FRAM (non-Ultra) filters do not have metal end caps, you may very well have been looking at the composite base plate that the media adheres to, which would be brown in colour.
When I seen it online I was kinda surprised. You could see some of the bottom and it was gray and the rust was on top of that. They appeared to be the same in the store. Maybe it was one batch or something but I’m not sure.

with 3K OCI, you would think or hope that any oil that meets the recommended spec should keep the engine clean. No?

Yes of course. However this is my wife's car, her pride and joy. The first car she had when she got her license. It's more valuable to her than the guy who looks after it (which is me). I buy oil on sale and I've been going between conventional and full synthetic between summers and winters. Now that my Stash of VWB is almost all done, I'll be running full synthetic from now on and probably extending OCIs to 7-9 months with filter changes after 3 OCI.

Back