under valve cover pics 363k miles

Passenger side is the "dirty" side of the PCV system. All of the vapors and blowby flow through that side, hence the darker color. Driver's side is the clean side, which only sees air from the filtered air intake pulled through it. Difference in color between banks is normal.

Keep in mind that fuel formulation there is different from ours in the States. I have never saw a Police Inerceptor in taxi service after police abuse going over 250k on 5-20 without smoking.
The OP has been doing very well. Just keep your eye on the rear axles and bearings: that year had some bad ones, and the design is half-assed

Originally Posted by Y_K
Just keep your eye on the rear axles and bearings...and the design is half-assed

Design is half assed? Based on what? It's the exact same design as every other semi-float axle over the last century.

Originally Posted by emmett442
Originally Posted by Y_K
Just keep your eye on the rear axles and bearings...and the design is half-assed

Design is half assed? Based on what? It's the exact same design as every other semi-float axle over the last century.

Leaf springs are more safe and reliable. No need of new-fangled 'coil springs' or 'control arms'.

/s

Originally Posted by PimTac
The op has 363,000 miles on this car yet some try to downplay it. Only on BITOG.

Looks good.

Could be at 500k by now if 10w-40 was used.

Originally Posted by csandste
Combo of old style, lazy large displacement engines and new oils (even with some group II) are a combo that will allow you to drive forever. Nice!

01.gif

The high-strung, ubiquitous 1 and 2 point whatever, turbo(and super)-charged engines of today will NEVER reach these miles without at least one complete rebuild.

Originally Posted by Y_K

I believe there's a problem with the axles themselves- they apparently are known for cracking & failure on some years. I check the ‘03 MGM's one in my sig pretty religiously, they will start spewing gear oil out on a rear wheel before they fail.

Are those silver bands around the camshaft lobes wear or scars? Or are they "clean spots". I can't tell on my phone.

Originally Posted by JC1
Looks great.

Wonder why the OP is using 5w-20 in Dubai. You'd think 5w-30 or 10w-30 would be better in that heat unless he's just using up some 5w-20.

may be you are right, i was thinking just do what oil cap says, Ford added GCC options like dual exhaust and rear air vents but that writing still exist

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
My main question is-are they the original timing chains & guides? Also, why did the cam need to come out? Valve seal replacement?

all original, valve seals replacement

Originally Posted by Miller88
I thought everyone in Dubai ran 20w50 in everything!

On a more serious note - looks good. How's the interior holding up? Does it all crack?

Originally Posted by double vanos
M/C did a good job! It looks like the passenger side had a little more varnish than the drivers side. Hotter on that side maybe?

I believe that's the oil pumps through the driver's side first then to the passenger side head. The oil passages on that side are very small, too.

5w20 is widely used here
engine run tight and smooth, some pinging if car abused in city driving especially when going uphill at 40 to 50 mph

Originally Posted by ZZman
I only have 151,000 miles on my GM 4.6. Are you telling me I can never get rid of this car as it will run forever?

i guess your son will inherit your car

Passenger side is the "dirty" side of the PCV system. All of the vapors and blowby flow through that side, hence the darker color. Driver's side is the clean side, which only sees air from the filtered air intake pulled through it. Difference in color between banks is normal.

thank for the info

Originally Posted by Y_K
Keep in mind that fuel formulation there is different from ours in the States. I have never saw a Police Inerceptor in taxi service after police abuse going over 250k on 5-20 without smoking.
The OP has been doing very well. Just keep your eye on the rear axles and bearings: that year had some bad ones, and the design is half-assed

I'm guessing that's from valve seals, a common problem on these engines, and has nothing to do with the type of oil used. The 4.6 in my Mustang smoked and burned at least a quart per 1,000 miles even with 5w-40. I replaced the valve seals and now there is no smoke and it does not burn a drop.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Originally Posted by csandste
Combo of old style, lazy large displacement engines and new oils (even with some group II) are a combo that will allow you to drive forever. ...
The high-strung, ubiquitous 1 and 2 point whatever, turbo(and super)-charged engines of today will NEVER reach these miles without at least one complete rebuild.
The lazy 1.49L engine of my last car ran same as new at near 600k with no complete rebuild---and without nearly as much varnish on cams, etc.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Originally Posted by Y_K

I believe there's a problem with the axles themselves- they apparently are known for cracking & failure on some years. I check the ‘03 MGM's one in my sig pretty religiously, they will start spewing gear oil out on a rear wheel before they fail.

Yeah, I'm aware that there's a problem with the bearings wearing into the axles - most likely due to improper hardening of the axle shafts themselves. But, as far as the design goes, there's nothing different or abnormal about it. Same as a GM 10 bolt and a Mopar 8.25.

Back