Under Valve cover Pics - 122,XXX mile 6G74

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

Doing some maintenance on my 2003 Diamante with 122,XXX miles.

First 70K miles had unknown oil used (Mitsubishi dealership) at 9K OCI.

70k-110k it had semi synthetic Castrol (Magnatec) at 6K OCI.

At 110K when I bought it I used Penrite HPR10 10-W50 and Castrol Edge Titanium 5-W40.
Next OCI (next few hundred miles) I am using Shell Ultra 5-W40.

It seems ok under there, but can someone tell me is that black stuff sludge in the bottom right corner?
And, will I be able to get it cleaner by using high detergent oils, flushes etc?

underValvecover196xxxkm_zps25be99f7.jpg

underValvecover196xxxkmblack_zpsb259b905.jpg

You must have been taking good care of it. Mitsubishi cars aren't necessarily known for their long life span
sick.gif
Keep doing what your doing, it seems to be working! That little bit of gunk isn't that bad, it could be worse! If you are really worried throw some marvel in the crankcase!

Last edited:
Some engines will varnish where the oil can sitsand not flow well plus it could be a hot spot . Personally I wouldn't worry too much about it, oil cleaning is extremely slow just keep doing what you're doing.

It was easy to scrape off by hand, but I left it in case it did more harm than good floating around

Originally Posted By: jk_636
You must have been taking good care of it. Mitsubishi cars aren't necessarily known for their long life span
sick.gif
Keep doing what your doing, it seems to be working! That little bit of gunk isn't that bad, it could be worse! If you are really worried throw some marvel in the crankcase!

I don't know if that is a fair statement.

Snap a pic of the underside of the rockers. Does it have hydraulic lifters at the end over the valve stem?

The rockers have been cleaned.

Yes the lifters are inside the rocker arms, on top of each valve stem

Originally Posted By: Johnny248
sick.gif

Agreed. See plenty of old ones around here...

The Shell Ultra 5-W40 will clean it. Don't do anything beyond that. That minor build up isn't hurting anything.

I wouldn't be overly concerned, maybe try a few slightly shorter OCIs with the Shell Ultra.

I'd be happy if that was my 200,000km old engine. Looks good, I've seen plenty worse! Why did you take the rockers out, replacing the lash adjusters?

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Originally Posted By: Johnny248
sick.gif

Agreed. See plenty of old ones around here...

If Mitsubishi vehicles have a hard time surviving down here, then there chance of surviving the rust belt is null!
grin.gif
I kid of course, I never was a fan of anything Mitsubishi, so I may have a little bias.

Good day!

I have the same engine in my 1994 Montero 3.5 liter. As long as you take good care of the engine you will see 200,000 > easy. They are a bit hard on oil. Of course, I follow the severe service. I enjoy playing.....

The lifters tick a bit and there are reports of valve stem issues. I have a bit of ticking. I use OEM parts and feel confident going hundreds of miles in the desert/mountains etc. These engines were made in Japan.

Best wishes,

Valve stem issues? Is that why I see so many Mitsu's blowing blue smoke upon acceleration? I see more of them doing it than any other make.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Valve stem issues? Is that why I see so many Mitsu's blowing blue smoke upon acceleration? I see more of them doing it than any other make.

Yeah that was an old issue the early 6G SOHC engines had, high head temperatures caused the valve guides to move (drop) which caused excessive consumption from the guides or something like that. Those 3.0L Classic Caravans were notorious smokers bc of it

Originally Posted By: DBMaster

I know this is a lie, because there are far fewer Mitsu's on the road here in the US than pretty much any other make lol Did you forget about Saturn SL/SC's? I've never seen one that doesn't smoke lol

All jokes aside though, I've wittnessed many, many, high mileage Mitsu engines. Take care of them, and they take care of you. Some older engines, such as the 3.0l V6 which Chrysler used extensively had some issues with worn valve guides, but I can't tell you how many 200k+ 4-cyl engines I've had through the shop that run great, don't consumer any crazy amount of oil, don't leak, etc.

I'm not a die hard Mitsu guy, but I have owned 4 cars that were either Mitus's, or Mitsu powered and never once had a engine related issue. In fact, just my testament on overall quality which seems they seem to be bashed upon with. I own an '06 Eclipse GT 6speed with the Mivec 6G75 engine. The car currently has 75,801 on the odo. Granted that is not really high mileage, but the car also just turned 9. I have had two things go wrong with the car since it was new. Both warranty repairs. The first was a fog lamp that was collecting condensation, and the second was one manifold/catalytic convertor which threw a code. It was actually a recalled repair with a new manifold and PCM software. Other than that it has has probably been the most reliable vehicle I've owned as far as anything wearing out or failing. What was also nice to see is that just about every hard part on on this car is made in the USA, which always makes you feel good. Car runs great, no leaks, everything is tight and works like it should. I've been really happy with it overall.

I've also had a 4G63 powered Talon TSI, two 6G73 cars, Avenger and Cirrus, and my old baby, favorite car of all time, G54B powered Conquest Tsi. I don't think I'd have an issue with purchasing another Mitsu if they offered anything that was appealing. I do like the Evo X, but it is also the last year of production. Who knows how much longer they will be in the US market at all. There CUV's seem to get pretty good reviews from all the media though.

(Sorry for highjacking this thread)

You must have had the Montero SR. Any time I do plugs on those things, I always do the wires, coils, heater hoses, PCV valve, PCV hoses, and any vacuum lines as well, because getting under that manifold is its own Mitsubishi Adventure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back