Under Valve cover photos

Pics are of my 2000 MB CLK 430 Convertible with 101k miles. I bought it with 98k. There were 4 oil changes listed on Carfax. There were large periods of time when the only listings were tag renewal. I realize that Carfax is mainly a marketing tool. Valve cover gaskets were seeping oil but no dripping. It also had the original spark plugs in it. Had the gaskets and plugs replaced by a MB only indy. I asked them to take pics since I don't have much of a history on this car. I was blown away at how clean it was. I was expecting at least a lot of varnish. Can't say enough about that 229.5 motor oil. MB has been using it over 20yrs and I can see why.

unknown.jpg

unknown_1.jpg

She looks clean! Congrats! With all the complaints about German vehicles and (pick the negative comment), I love seeing something looking so good!!

My M272 seems to be quite harsh on oil. Or maybe it's just the Mobil 1 0W-40, Liquid Moly was not as bad after the same mileage. Now testing Castrol 0W-40.

Just because the top-end is clean is not a guarantee that the rest of the engine is.

How are you determining this?
In a very non-scientific looks, feels and smells test. One comes out black and foul smelling the other still smells like motor oil. All changed at 6.5k which is half the set interval. Will send send some samples next time I need to change it.

In a very non-scientific looks, feels and smells test. One comes out black and foul smelling the other still smells like motor oil. All changed at 6.5k which is half the set interval. Will send send some samples next time I need to change it.
Black is usually good, means it's doing its job keeping things clean.

Black is usually good, means it's doing its job keeping things clean.
In gas applications, the oil does not turn black immediately. It takes time for this to happen. The black color, to some extent, does signify the amount of particulates in the oil.

In gas applications, the oil does not turn black immediately. It takes time for this to happen. The black color, to some extent, does signify the amount of particulates in the oil.
Exactly. Oils are blended to keep combustion byproducts and other contaminants in suspension. Doing this job will result in the oil becoming dark. M1 0w-40 is also touted by Mobil as being able to do some cleaning, so if that's taking place, the product will likely darken more quickly than oils that aren't blended in the same manner.

Back