Under valve cover, 2002 Honda K24 170k

jagdriver727

Site Donor 2021
Replaced a leaking valve cover gasket today. It's been off a few times before for valve adjustments.

Run most of its life on bulk 5W-20 and the occasional fill of 5W-30.

I've never been much of a japanese car fan, but I like these little Honda engines. They're dirt cheap to repair and maintain, and are ridiculously reliable if they're kept up (and even if they're not, really)
IMG_9958.jpg
IMG_9959.jpg

IMG_9960.jpg

bulk what. Syn or conventional? If conventional that is one of the cleanest under valve covers I've seen with conventional.

Wifey's 2006 TSX with the mighty K24 has been stellar for 200K.
I have replaced the water pump, alternator, starter and the 4 coils (1 went bad).
Plugs every 80K or so. Adjusted valves at about 180K.
Other than that, a steady diet of M1 5w30 is about it. I never check the oil.

bulk what. Syn or conventional? If conventional that is one of the cleanest under valve covers I've seen with conventional.
About 50/50. I maintained the car for the original owner for ~15 years before buying it from her, she always opted for the cheapest service but sometimes we'd have a couple leftover quarts of synthetic here and there and that's what went in. It's been 5W-30 syn at 10k intervals since I got it.

I have four nice cars, but if I had to flee for my life because of armageddon it would be our 210K mile old K24 Honda I would trust the most.

Keep doing what you're doing with your K24. It's obvious that motor is happy!

Scott

PS/Edit: I just have to add, it seems like K24 owners are part of a "secret club" with a "secret handshake".

Last edited:
Back