Under Valve Cover: 2000 LS1 @ 120,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
9AqpvI0.jpg

eua8i1M.jpg

bkaPkkr.jpg

Previous owner said he used Mobil 1 10W30 exclusively. Before him... who knows.

Coming apart for a new cam, valve springs, timing set, rocket trunnions, and oil pump.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
High lift cam? Roller Rockers? All the normal hot rod stuff?

Bigger camshaft? Yes. Not a radical step up, just a mild bump. New valves springs are to accommodate the cam swap.

Roller rockers? Funny thing about that... it has roller rockers now. I'm getting rid of them. Early LS engines had a nasty habit of spitting the needle bearings out of the rocker arms and down into the engine. The solution is to replace the loose needle bearings in the roller tunnion with a set of caged needle bearings or get rid of the roller trunnion altogether and replace it with a bronze bushing. I'm doing the latter.

Everything else is being done just because I'm in there.

WOW! Impressively cleaned. For many years I wasn't an Exxon Mobile fan. But, I've never seen a dirty engine with Mobil 1.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Jesel shafts FTW!

I've always loved LS engines... after I got over my hatred for them. I used to be a 5.0 guy, and once I realized the LS has much more in common with a 5.0 than it did SBC, it was true love.

My brother and I built a 404-cube, 12.3:1 LS3 with some goodies for his 2000 Camaro SS with a 400 trans. Best pass I made in it was 10.17@136mph... starting in 2nd gear (oops, dang ratchet shifter), with just a 275 drag radial and stock everything else, including full interior and a cage. Like I said... true love!

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer
Originally Posted By: Cujet
High lift cam? Roller Rockers? All the normal hot rod stuff?

Bigger camshaft? Yes. Not a radical step up, just a mild bump. New valves springs are to accommodate the cam swap.

Roller rockers? Funny thing about that... it has roller rockers now. I'm getting rid of them. Early LS engines had a nasty habit of spitting the needle bearings out of the rocker arms and down into the engine. The solution is to replace the loose needle bearings in the roller tunnion with a set of caged needle bearings or get rid of the roller trunnion altogether and replace it with a bronze bushing. I'm doing the latter.

Everything else is being done just because I'm in there.

Good on you. Bronze bushing is teh way to go
smile.gif

Whoever though that needle bearing roller rockers were a good idea on the street should have been shot long ago. Lost needle bearings have eaten plenty of engines ...

I a race motor, they are a high maintenance item. Usually replaced after X number of passes/laps.

Epoxy a plate magnet into the bottom of the pan so any loose Fe bits that fall stay at the bottom and do not circulate.

Originally Posted By: Pajero
WOW! Impressively cleaned. For many years I wasn't an Exxon Mobile fan. But, I've never seen a dirty engine with Mobil 1.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Same here for the last 40 years with M1.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: Pajero

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Same here for the last 40 years with M1.

Several decades myself ~ No bacon grease or heart attacks from it either …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back