Under the valve cover at 211k

Had to change the gasket on the 91 Festiva with 211k. Looks worse than when I changed it last time. But the PCV was gummed up and stuck, the intake had about a 1/2 quart of oil in it. Doesn't have any blowby so I'm guessing that's why. I bought it back in 03 with 86k and drove alot of miles so used Mobil 1 at 10k intervals. Sold this to dad back in 06 so he's put at least 100k on it and only used ST 10w30 at 3-4k intervals.

IMG_6187.JPG
IMG_6186.JPG

What filth! How dare you!

Is it still basically impossible to find tires that fit those little 12" wheels?

What filth! How dare you!

Is it still basically impossible to find tires that fit those little 12" wheels?
Has 13's from a Metro.. 175/70/13's.

Quite a few still around. Made by Kia. Most of the parts these days are coming from Iran. They were made or still being made over there not sure.

Looks like varnish city to me.
Is that one of the side effects of using an inferior oil?

Those were sweet little cars. Yamaha engines?? I can't remember.

Edit. I just read your post where you said they were rebadged Kias. Those cars were indestructible and ran so smooth. Were Kia products better back then? I never heard of a Festiva ever breaking down.

Looks like it could of used a engine flush at every OCI. So much for good oil oil keeping it clean. It is perfectly normal though.

Chalk this one up to why I don't do 10K intervals on any oil, and to why I don't use ST. Ever.

There have been other posts where cars used ST synthetic exclusively for 200k mi. The valve-train looked as good as synthetic in those.

He also mentioned a poorly working PCV that could be the cause here. The ST was changed at a every conservative 3-4k mi so my guess is valve failure over oil type and definitely not brand.

Last edited:
Those were sweet little cars. Yamaha engines?? I can't remember.

Edit. I just read your post where you said they were rebadged Kias. Those cars were indestructible and ran so smooth. Were Kia products better back then? I never heard of a Festiva ever breaking down.
Mazda B series engines. As far as better don't know just less complicated back then. We've had 8 and 3 Aspires and never had a breakdown.

There have been other posts where cars used ST synthetic exclusively for 200k mi. The valve-train looked as good as synthetic in those.

He also mentioned a poorly working PCV that could be the cause here. The ST was changed at a every conservative 3-4k mi so my guess is valve failure over oil type and definitely not brand.
The other 91 Festiva I drove for a while (rusted out) had the same treatment and it looked cleaner. The PCV was the sole cause in this case. In a year or so I might pull the cover again and check it.

Yeah, I read that part too, but I'm not buying that a bad PCV valve caused ALL of that. Some? Yes. A large portion? I'll give the benefit of the doubt and still agree. But not 100% ALL of that gunk. Especially considering the inside of the valve cover itself...

Back