Under the valve cover - 2014 Honda CR-V (K24) - 86k Miles

Recommended interval is around 100k miles, but I wasn't happy with the overall performance of this drivetrain, and that's the reason why I got it done earlier. It's also holiday season, can't take my bike out for a ride, so it was the only thing in my "to-do" list for this weekend.

As I was unhappy about overall performance, my expectations were low. It's definitely not as clean as my totaled Acura CSX in the link that I shared around a year ago - https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/under-the-valve-cover-09-acura-csx-107k.337207/ but not too bad either.

It's so much easier to work on a CR-V than the Acura CSX, as you have to remove front cowl and everything with that platform, but this one was super straightforward. It took me like 4 hours total including breaks etc., as I wasn't in a rush I just took my time checking all torque specs etc. from my computer.

It's a 2014 Honda CR-V with K24 engine, total mileage is 86k and I bought it at 80k miles in Aug 2020. All intake valves were a little bit loose, but surprisingly all exhaust valves are within spec so I left them as is.

Photo 2021-12-11, 20 51 30.jpg

Photo 2021-12-11, 20 52 08.jpg

There was a little bit varnish under the valve cover. I put a new OEM valve cover gasket, but spark plug gaskets were fine and didn't change them.

Photo 2021-12-11, 21 27 34.jpg

Spark plugs were (I think) fine, but I am not really good at inspecting/reading the plugs unless there is something really obvious. Here are the pictures. Replaced them with NGK Ruthenium plugs.

Photo 2021-12-12, 11 24 35.jpg

Overall it's good to see that there is no sludge. When you buy a used car, it's kind of hit or miss.

I started her up next day (wanted to make sure gasket maker is cured), made sure that it works properly, then changed the oil with Motomaster dino 5w30 (cheapest I could find) and Wix XP oil filter. I'll do a short 2-3k OCI to avoid dirt contamination (dust etc. when I adjust the valves) then will switch back to synthetic oil.

Anyways, just wanted to share it - thanks for your time.

Last edited:
Have you noticed any improvement in performance? Just curious, since the intake valves were a bit loose. I've got the same service coming up on my Accord in about six months or so.

I hope you are as diligent with rust prevention spray on the chassis! this engine is being spoilt.

Previous owner did the rust prevention spray inside the engine bay/underbody and there is no rust in the chassis at all. However, there is some rust in bolts/subframe as expected, but nothing excessive.

With the Jetta on my sig, I take it to Krown without having them drill the car. For the CR-V it's not just worth it at this point as I don't plan to keep it for long time. In the next few years I'll replace the CR-V with the new Sienna or Carnival.

Have you noticed any improvement in performance? Just curious, since the intake valves were a bit loose. I've got the same service coming up on my Accord in about six months or so.

Wide open throttle performance is slightly better, but overall throttle response and low end torque is significantly better. Not sure about highway performance and fuel economy as I haven't had a chance to drive that much.

I think it's pretty easy DIY but time consuming. If you have some time to kill you should DIY. You'd pay $450-500 if you take it to mechanic.

Back