Under hood wiring connectors

Job

On my Toyota 3rz there is a coolant sensor on the back of the engine. I think it is the important one that signals the ECU. I have been working on the engine and removed the two prong connector to the sensor. Now I see the yellow plastic around the female pin connector is broken. I vacummed out the small broken pieces from the sensor part. The pins ore ok. I was going to put dielectric grease in there and just put ot back together. Or should I just put it back together as is? The yellow plastic used to extend out from the female pins, now it is just level with them, the rest btoke off. Brittle I guess. I don't want to make trouble for myself, I know there are pigtails that can be wired in, but getting the right one etc and then having to splice the wires is something I would rather not do. It is very hard to reach in the back there to work on it. I thought since there are actual professional mechanics here I could get an opinion. I suppose the full plastic is for a reason in the connector.

Toyota lists the part # for all of their connector housings in the electrical repair manual. Get a subscription to TIS and you can find the connector part number and order it. They are usually quite inexpensive.

Toyota lists the part # for all of their connector housings in the electrical repair manual. Get a subscription to TIS and you can find the connector part number and order it. They are usually quite inexpensive.
Are they just the connector, or the connector with pigtail? There are pluses and minuses to both.

That would be the way to do it. The dealer should have the part number I assume. I think I saw once where they have specific instructions on how to depin and put new shell on. The problem is it is on the harness at the back of the engine.

sounds like the skirt of the shell that seals it? I would just find a way to seal it and be done. maybe electrical tape or shrink tube.

Back