Unbelievable Restriction--OEM Muffler

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a 2001 Chevy S10, 2.2L four cylinder. The muffler is the original. We replaced it with a Dynomax Super Turbo and decided to check the internals of the OEM muffler. The truck has 2.25" OD exhaust piping, which accounting for some flattening at the curves gives at least a 3.10 square inch cross section. Inside the inlet and outlet tubes are smaller perforated tubes that restrict the cross section down to about 2.25 square inches. But the shocker was that instead of a third tube to pass gas from one end to the other, there was a solid bulkhead with seven apparently randomly placed holes of approximately 7/32-inch diameter. This equates to a total cross sectional area of about 0.3 square inches for the exhaust gas to push through the muffler. Here are the photographs of the bulkhead and holes. As you can see, the outlet pipe is solid wall, so no gas passes through there, and the crimping you see is to hold the smaller perforated tube in place.

S10OEMMuffler2001.jpg

Betcha it was quiet!
That is a horrible design. The worst I've seen.

Could have been a factory error - a punch or drill step was missed.

Then there are the guys who react to the opposite extreme with a 6-inch diameter tailpipe on a little 4-banger car.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Betcha it was quiet!
That is a horrible design. The worst I've seen.

Could have been a factory error - a punch or drill step was missed.
Yeah it was quiet. The Dynomax is three tubes, maintains full diameter all the way through, and sounds absolutely wonderful.

I think you are right, factory must have missed punching some holes. When I tore apart the Aerostar's muffler (and that was a standard replacement from a muffler shop) it did not have a third tube. Instead there were holes drilled in the bulkhead but all in the area where the third tube would have been. Restrictive, but seems there were more like about 20 holes.

It actually ran pretty good with that muffler. Haven't given it a good run yet to see how it performs now.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
What's on the other side of the bulkhead? That "outlet pipe" runs through it

I need to cut that other side open and have a look. Maybe there are some perforations all the way through the tubes, but it does not appear to be the case from looking down the tubes. We'll get it cut open and report back.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
I betcha an accountant, not an engineer, came up with that design.
Save a lot of money not having a third tube, but at least they could have made a big hole, like about 1.75 inches across.

The other part of this is so many want their cars to be as quiet as a graveyard. Easiest way to quiet an engine is to put a big plug in the outlet. Would think it hurts fuel economy and they would not want that with the CAFE fines.

You can bet that it was supplied by the low bidder.

Some engines love back pressure. Helps keep their torque curve up.

Some don't. Removing back pressure is not always a good thing. But it obviously could help high rpm horsepower a bit.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Old wife's tale. While engines will run with lots of back pressure, there is a cardinal rule: less is more.

Good Points...

It's not all about free flow.

Jim

Some don't. Removing back pressure is not always a good thing. But it obviously could help high rpm horsepower a bit.

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
UAW at its finest!

Not sure what the union would have to do with this.

Back pressure is not good, flow and scavenging of the cylinders on the exhaust stroke are good. If an engine runs poorer after removing backpressure it is because the flow or scavenging has been hurt. Also a retune for lower back pressure would be in o order.

Originally Posted By: AstroTurf
Good Points...

It's not all about free flow.

Jim

When those "FC" bodily function emulator mufflers were popular on baffed out Civics, my four banger Camry would eat them up off the line despite all their thrashing. NO low end.

Last edited:
Just cut open the other end. There is a chamber where the gasses flow out the sides of the inlet pipe through tiny slots and then have to enter another pipe, again through tiny slots, flow around the other end, then through the outlet pipe. Not as bad is I thought but still VERY restrictive. I'll get some pictures up later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back