Ultrasonic Cleaning Solution - Gun Brass - Gas Stove Jets

Greetings All,

The gas jets (brass) on my Bosch Stove are partially clogged and need service. Ordering new is not out of the question.

I was thinking a trip through the ultrasonic cleaner with suitable solvent might do the job.

Am I crazy? Would not be the first time.

Please comment on whether this has a shot at working and also suggest a solvent if you think it will.

Thanks,
fat biker

Assuming brass on brass will not harm the jet or increase its diameter, then I suggest getting some guitar strings coated in brass (very common and cheap) and use them to clean out any residue.

I don't see a reason an ultrasonic dip would hurt them given the right solvent. I've watched Mustie1 put plenty of brass carburetor parts in his cleaner and he's never mentioned a problem.

I've cleaned A LOT of rifle brass in my ultrasonic cleaner. (Cheap Harbor Freight unit with no heat). I do it after resizing and depriming to remove all of the case lube, and to clean out the primer pockets. They come out spotless inside and out, but dull.

I then tumble them in corn cob media with some brass polish, (no ammonia), and they come out looking brilliant. This makes it much easier to detect defects, (splits and cracks in the neck area... Separation rings forming at the base), and they look much better.

I'm seeing where many of these larger, high wattage, multiple transducer, ultrasonic units are getting much cheaper, and have added features like heat. I'm seriously thinking of upgrading to a better unit. They have many uses.

https://www.amazon.com/VEVOR-Commercial-Ultrasonic-Cleaning-Eyeglasses/dp/B07DJ23WKV/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=31XVM7SYKA44T&keywords=ultrasonic+cleaners+for+guns&qid=1674363043&sprefix=ultrasonic+cleaners,aps,192&sr=8-2-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFPQkpCUEdVUE83RVkmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA1MjE0OTkxOTI1UzlPMTFXN1RZJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAxMzIxNjBBTFY5MUhHVkhUOTAmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl&th=1

For this specific application, I'd not get fancy-I'd start with water with a bit of Dawn dish soap.

For cartridge brass, in the past I've used the purpose-made RCBS solution for it in my HF ultrasonic cleaner. I'm a chemist and have the know-how and ability to concoct my own recipes, but found at the end of the day that buying a purpose made solution was easier. The quick route to getting brass clean, whether in ultrasonic or not, is using ammonia but that's also REALLY bad news in cartridge brass as it can weaken it. It might be okay in other situations, although I avoid using ammonia around brass at all.

I clean brass carb parts in my harbor freight ultrasonic cleaner and it works great. I usually just use dawn and water but really any cleaner good at removing carbon would work.

Thnnks everybody for the suggestions.
I did not have any wire in proper dimension on hand.
I will try some dish soap & water and see hot it goes.

fat biker

Update..
removed the jet for the front "power burner"
still cannot find the wifes ultrasonic cleaner (think jewelry cleaning)
scratching my head
wondered if a piece of twine might go through, then rub back and forth to loosen and remove crud
cut a short piece of kitchen twine
attempted to thread the twine into the orifice
as I twisted the twine I noticed two things, it was unraveling and not going in
the unraveling got me thinking, what if i just try a few yarns
sure enough, threaded just two of the many yarns and as I continued to thread, the orifice peeled off the unneeded yarns
with 4 inches of two yarns thru the orifice, rubbed back and forth with a twist
the yarn was blackened by the crut being abraded
visual inspection with bright light
BINGO
re-installed the jet and...
WHOOSH

now my thinking is very fine brushes
Amazon has a set of carburetor cleaning brushes that look promising for peanuts

Thanks again to all for your suggestions

fat biker

Get a Torch Cleaner tool from a hardware store or Home Depot , etc. It has a selection of small wires for cleaning orifices . I picked up a couple of new ones at an estate sale for a buck apiece .

Have you tried spray carburetor cleaner?

FYI they worn you not to use electrical wire to clean the tips on oxy-acetylene torches. But as Nomas pointed out they do sell sets of cleaning "wires" for them. They claim that those will only take out deposits on the tips and will not damage the tiny jets. Anyone that sells welding supplies should carry them.

Instead of twine, try unwaxed dental floss.

Back