UltraPure Trumpet Valve OIl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al

My contention was that these oils are grossly over-priced. I was guessing that there were no additives and it was little more than kerosene. Really the only property that determines the ability of a fluid to lubricate in ambient low load conditions is viscosity, Guess I was on to something 60 years ago when I used kerosene bc it worked better than the lubricating oils of the day. I guess I was right.

1_J78973_2_.jpg

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

What is the univeral average against

Good question

Last edited:
LOL. Try doing an analysis after the oil is used for a few thousand songs. You can send them a sample of your spit valve drippings.

I use Blue Juice because it's blue and it's made just a few miles away from me. Toot toot!

Ive played trumpet over ten years I think it's interesting. I also use blue juice valve oil on my getzen genesis
I thought blue juice was preferred as the formula is intended the keep that green junk from growing inside too much lol

Thank you all for making me
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
grin2.gif

If anyone is using valve oil similar to what is shown in the universal averages, they must have some major problems with sticky valves. Although the moly probably keeps things nice and slick.

If this stuff is "synthetic" and odorless like their web site says, could it really be kerosene based?

Would trumpet oil be anything more than mineral oil that is clean and light? Mineral oil has a lot of uses. Medical grade mineral oil can be used externally, internally, injected or as eye drops for surgeries.

Not a musician but I wonder if the tuba would spec a heavier oil compared to a trumpet for example?

When I played trumpet in the high school band, our band teacher always told me the valve oil was just de-scented kerosene.
Said in his younger days that is what he used because it was cheap and it worked just as good but stunk!

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Would trumpet oil be anything more than mineral oil that is clean and light? Mineral oil has a lot of uses. Medical grade mineral oil can be used externally, internally, injected or as eye drops for surgeries.

Not a musician but I wonder if the tuba would spec a heavier oil compared to a trumpet for example?

I played trumpet, cornet, baritone, and a four valve euphonium. I never read up on manufacturer's specifications, but all of them played fine on Blue Juice.

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
Spit dilution is major issue in the new trumpets. Blackstone's flashpoint isn't a good indicator of spit dilution.

I hear Redline's valve oil resists the effects of spit dilution better than others. It's the ester base stock.

Blue Juice's blue base stock it superior because it is blue, and blue is better than red. In addition, Blue Juice's additive package catalyzes spit into viscosity index improvers that account for the evaporative cooling of the spit to maintain lubricity under severe playing conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back