UltraLub says shelf life of unopened oil is 3 years from date of manufacture

That seems quite short! This bottle is gear oil, but it applies to motor oil too

This particular bottle's date code is 2003177314A
I think it means 20/03/17 as is 3/17/2020 or March 17, 2020

IMG_20200808_150415738.jpg

I guess I will only use Valvoline from now on, they are the only oil manufacture I know of that says their oil does not expire.
Seems they know something others don't.

Only oil I know of that actually went bad was that G Oil bio oil. All the rest just say it to cover their rear.

I had (2) 12 quart cases of Napa Synthetic motor oil 5w-20 that I got on sale ~2007. I used up the last of it last year, when pouring it in (`06 Honda Odyssey) there were cloudy clumps that came out of the quart bottle. I still used it as it went it the beater. I would not have used it in a car I had cared more about.

So something went wrong with this oil as it aged. (made by Valvoline). Probably additives. But this was not like additive fallout with the dark stuff in the bottom of the Pennzoil Platinum that we know of.

Theres another misguided PF effort

Does show some improvement( give credit where its due) but still completely wrong in terms of testing and "proving" his point

Does show some improvement( give credit where its due) but still completely wrong in terms of testing and "proving" his point

Can you provide some examples of the flaws in his approach? Love to hear it from an actual engineer.

Can you provide some examples of the flaws in his approach? Love to hear it from an actual engineer.

Sure

But first let me state that I think the guy personally is sincere and probably tries to the best of his ability and don’t care that he gets paid for it. (Based on the way videos pay, I think he should get paid- they just are not legitimately valid in terms of conclusions)

In general……

No test is any more valid than the hypothesis the test is designed to examine. The deliverable (problem statement, hypothesis, whatever) has to be clearly stated both in detail and terms that can be measured. This also means in context.

It starts off misleading (Is oil good?) then really doesn’t address that in any significant way. That’s a normal thing for marketing and advertising (teasing) but casts a very negative light on someone who is trying to “present the image’ of a legitimate authority conducting “legitimate testing” to make a solid point.

Then he switches gears and “compares’ what is most likely a straight viscosity oil against a modern multi grade. That’s like comparing an apple to a beagle.

He should have identified the oil up front then selected a modern equivalent so it could be tested both against itself (age degradation) then against the modern ( performance testing)

Any testing would have to also be against the standards the oil was manufactured to then whatever current standards are. (Standards, requirements and oils change)

Then we have the “mower thing”. Nothing was tested against it, nothing measured, no baseline on the engine or anything. All he proved was primitive motor oil could run a mower for a glass of gas.

That’s not related to age degradation or a performance comparison to modern oil.

Cute, entertaining but factually worthless.

My Toyota is currently running on 6 year old Valvoline almost a thousand miles. But I know this 16 year old car is doomed to fail now. Can someone help me find a pier I can shove it off this winter when that happens? But now that my Corolla knows about this scientific fact I can tell I'm going to get a written flood of complaints from my Toyota Dealer written by my Corolla! In the last 6 years I've probably used 3 plus year oil many times. Just think how long the Corolla would have lasted if I'd always paid top dollar and got fresh oil.

Sure

But first let me state that I think the guy personally is sincere and probably tries to the best of his ability and don’t care that he gets paid for it. (Based on the way videos pay, I think he should get paid- they just are not legitimately valid in terms of conclusions)

In general……

No test is any more valid than the hypothesis the test is designed to examine. The deliverable (problem statement, hypothesis, whatever) has to be clearly stated both in detail and terms that can be measured. This also means in context.

It starts off misleading (Is oil good?) then really doesn’t address that in any significant way. That’s a normal thing for marketing and advertising (teasing) but casts a very negative light on someone who is trying to “present the image’ of a legitimate authority conducting “legitimate testing” to make a solid point.

Then he switches gears and “compares’ what is most likely a straight viscosity oil against a modern multi grade. That’s like comparing an apple to a beagle.

He should have identified the oil up front then selected a modern equivalent so it could be tested both against itself (age degradation) then against the modern ( performance testing)

Any testing would have to also be against the standards the oil was manufactured to then whatever current standards are. (Standards, requirements and oils change)

Then we have the “mower thing”. Nothing was tested against it, nothing measured, no baseline on the engine or anything. All he proved was primitive motor oil could run a mower for a glass of gas.

That’s not related to age degradation or a performance comparison to modern oil.

Cute, entertaining but factually worthless.

Thank you. It's always a pleasure to get context from a professional. I appreciate it.

My Toyota is currently running on 6 year old Valvoline almost a thousand miles. But I know this 16 year old car is doomed to fail now. Can someone help me find a pier I can shove it off this winter when that happens? But now that my Corolla knows about this scientific fact I can tell I'm going to get a written flood of complaints from my Toyota Dealer written by my Corolla! In the last 6 years I've probably used 3 plus year oil many times. Just think how long the Corolla would have lasted if I'd always paid top dollar and got fresh oil.

Johnny, there is a pier in Seattle where you won’t have to push it off. The pier is separating from the waterfront thanks to the state engineers and their new transit tunnel.

I’ll bet that Corolla purrs with the Valvoline in the motor.

Johnny, there is a pier in Seattle where you won’t have to push it off. The pier is separating from the waterfront thanks to the state engineers and their new transit tunnel.

I’ll bet that Corolla purrs with the Valvoline in the motor.

Yah PimTac but probably only for a couple 100 thousand more miles.

I didn’t really post it with serious intent. More in jest. And I'm no engineer....or a professional at much of anything for that matter.

I'm in worse shape than that. Bought some Valvoline Synthetic on sale back in the spring...5 quart jug. My Tacoma takes just over 5 quarts. So in went 1/3 of a quart of M1.

She was a great truck. Gonna miss her

I didn’t really post it with serious intent. More in jest. And I'm no engineer....or a professional at much of anything for that matter.

Of course not and I apologize if I made it look like anything directed to you.

PF seems to do pretty good on certain things but really goes the other way on others.

I would think by now that he is somewhat "established" he would spend a bit more time thinking things through and devote more effort to technical accuracy since he "portrays" himself as some legitimate statement or as a source of factual information rather than just entertainment.

Back