Ultrabooks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ultrabooks, does anyone have them? I think it's the latest form of laptops intended by Intel to be able to compete with tablets which do not use Intel chips. From what I have seen in the ads and online research, these are basically a rip-off of the concept behind the MacBook Air -- thin, light, highly portable and yet powerful laptops.

Originally Posted By: CivicFan
Ultrabooks, does anyone have them? I think it's the latest form of laptops intended by Intel to be able to compete with tablets which do not use Intel chips. From what I have seen in the ads and online research, these are basically a rip-off of the concept behind the MacBook Air -- thin, light, highly portable and yet powerful laptops.

Yeah, if it isnt a ripoff of a macbook air, I dont know what is.

784px-Asus_x21_ultrabook.jpg

But somehow these will be great while the apple product will have lots of folks spewing trash about how horrible it is. Jealousy I guess.

I get how people think these are a rip off, but isn't this natural progression? lighter, thinner, etc.. That is all what everything is doing thesedays.. I think Apple just came out with it first and charged a kidney for it like they usually do.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
How in the world do techs repair something like that?
Incredibly thin.

Since when does much of anything get repaired?

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
I think Apple just came out with it first and charged a kidney for it like they usually do.

Right. Because the Asus zenbook at roughly $1100 versus the MBA for $1299 is a kidney? Specs look the same, apple probably has a far better battery in the end all...

Im not saying the apple isnt more costly, Im just saying it isnt a big price difference, and Im not sure how good, say, the zenbook is. Civicfan had it right, they are just ripoffs of what apple did first.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
How in the world do techs repair something like that?
Incredibly thin.

Break out the jeweler or watchmaker toolkit.

My fat fingers struggled with laptops when I started out repairing them, but you develop the dexterity after a few times. The manufacturers want them to appear disposable so youll think its unrepairable.

LOL....kinda funny cause I was just seeing these on walmart's website.....I was like "[censored]?" - tablets, ultrabooks, ebooks, wth? LOL......

I think the concept looks cool.....kind of an "upgraded" tablet per se (no touch screen....but a faster processor, more memory...).

Really though, what are people using these for?

I can't see them being good at gaming or anything.....Facebook? AIM Chat, etc.....sure :p

The new Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook looked really nice, better display than Macbook Air (which was in the running, as was MacBook Pro...) and better processor.

Ultimately, I need my laptop to have more HD space and I really like the optical drive...so I bought the XPS 15...

But I thought about an ultrabook, they really do look like a great combination of capabilities for someone who travels as much as I do...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ahoier
LOL....kinda funny cause I was just seeing these on walmart's website.....I was like "[censored]?" - tablets, ultrabooks, ebooks, wth? LOL......

I think the concept looks cool.....kind of an "upgraded" tablet per se (no touch screen....but a faster processor, more memory...).

Really though, what are people using these for?

I can't see them being good at gaming or anything.....Facebook? AIM Chat, etc.....sure :p

It's a perfect tool for meetings at work. A tablet is more convenient but they do not have keyboards and do not run Windows. This would be the best compromise.

They aren't really a rip off. They are in fact, quite powerful. They are worth the price tag of around $1,000 or so. ; i5/i7 processor, high end SSD, lots of RAM, and very long battery life, and extremely portable. The only thing they lack is an ODD, which let's face it rarely gets used in a laptop anyway.

The macbook air had a terribly slow CPU, GPU, hardly any RAM, and initially came with the 1.8" 80GB HDD out of an IPOD.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick R
They aren't really a rip off. They are in fact, quite powerful. They are worth the price tag of around $1,000 or so. ; i5/i7 processor, high end SSD, lots of RAM, and very long battery life, and extremely portable. The only thing they lack is an ODD, which let's face it rarely gets used in a laptop anyway.

I've had one for some time. It's called an X201. The X series Thinkpad has been around for years.

I don't know what all the fuss is about when Apple or Asus offers one. Old hat.

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
It's only somewhat old hat. An i-Series CPU changes the game over the ULV CPUs from a few years ago in these ultralight units.

I'm running an i7 in my X.

What's so groundbreaking?

Originally Posted By: Nick R

The macbook air had a terribly slow CPU, GPU, hardly any RAM, and initially came with the 1.8" 80GB HDD out of an IPOD.

Nick - I am not a computer guy (so, most will probably disregard my opinion) but I agree - the XPS that I looked at was very fast, light, and power efficient. I loved the SSD and the boot time...the ODD was a requirement as I take the computer overseas and wanted to be able to watch blu-ray...also, I am already up to 150GB of i-tunes content, and the SSD would be filled with that, the OS, and my pictures...

An external drive would have been counter to the purpose of light/fast...so, I went conventional...if the 1TB SSD wasn't so expensive, I would have gone with the Ultrabook (whether Dell or another, but the XPS 13 sure was sweet) and an external BD drive....

I spent a lot of time looking at the Ultrabook...with the fast processor, nice display, SDD, power efficiency, it's just a great concept/product...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ahoier

Dunno. My MBA has a core processor, 4GB ram, 128GB SSD, and a nice screen. it does anything that any other real laptop will do. Its not a tablet, which is extremely limited for writing real files and using real programs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back