Ultra8 Oil Filter /Nippon For Honda CUT OPEN NEW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a Ultra-8 aka NIPPON oil Filter for Honda.

model number 15400-PR3-004 & 15400-POH-305

First this filter is made in CHINA... However it seems to be well made, Ill let you see the pics. It has a silicone ADBV and the bypass is at the bottom. Also the filter media is very well spaced out nicely as in no big gaps.

Tell me what you think?

Also the reason I cut this filter open new is b.c I already have a FRAM ULTRA on my car and have a K&N waiting for the next Oil change so I wasn't going to use this anytime soon and figured perhaps some people here might want to see inside one of the Ultra 8 filters NEW

2iqipgg.jpg

5dl5pd.jpg

12175hd.jpg

xd87l2.jpg

Last edited:
Yea for a $3.99 filter its not bad.... I have more pics if anyone wants to see them but it think I got whats most important... However I can say to push the bypass with my finger was very tough.. perhaps b.c the filter is new, I dunno.

but I think its a good filter able to do 3000 miles easy.

Originally Posted By: David1
Yea for a $3.99 filter its not bad.... I have more pics if anyone wants to see them but it think I got whats most important... However I can say to push the bypass with my finger was very tough.. perhaps b.c the filter is new, I dunno.

but I think its a good filter able to do 3000 miles easy.

Any filter should be fine for 3000Mi oci, even a [censored] can

Last edited:
It does look well made, what I can see of it, and considering the country of origin. Thanks for sacrificing your your filter.

However I can say to push the bypass with my finger was very tough.. perhaps b.c the filter is new, I dunno.

Not because it's new ... it's because the bypass valve must be set pretty high, and/or the area of the bypass valve that the oil impinges on is relatively large.

Example:
If the bypass valve was set to 14 PSI, then it would take 14 lbs of pushing force with your finger to make it open at 14 PSI if the area the oil pressure pushed on was 1.0 sq-in.

If that area was 0.5 sq-in, then it would take 7 lbs of pushing force with your finger to make the valve open at 14 PSI.

For any constant bypass valve opening PSI setting, the stiffer the spring will have to be as the area where the oil pressure pushes increases in size (diameter) - as shown in the example above.

BTW - the filter looks good, but looks tells you nothing about the filtering performance, etc. I like the funky leaf spring setup.

Got to admit I'm cautious on anything made in China but I also recall making fun of anything made in Japan way back in the 60's and look what happened there . It is possible some goods made in China are improving in quality .

I think the filter looks very good. I like the nice even pleats (compared to the wavy, uneven pleats I've seen on some others).

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
BTW - the filter looks good, but looks tells you nothing about the filtering performance, etc.......

Yep, absolutely nothing. This could very well be a sieve with straight pleats and silicone adbv. And looks from an unused filter also prove nothing about reliability.

The other point I'd make, with all the reputable silicone adbv spin on oil filters with known efficiency rating(s), readily available at very reasonable prices that are made in the US, why would I chase this filter made in China. I wouldn't. Pass.

And then it could be as good as or better than many other brands of filters . Guess we'll never know on this one .

Not pro Made In China....just saying .

You made my point. With the many reputable, easily obtained, known spec/efficiency, reasonably priced made in the US filters for this application, no need for me chase this unknown spec made in China filter. No need to roll the dice on this one.

Originally Posted By: nitehawk55
And then it could be as good as or better than many other brands of filters . Guess we'll never know on this one .

If it had excellent efficiency and was tested per the standard IOS tests, I'm sure the maker would let us know as that is a huge selling point to anyone who knows something about filters.

Maybe the manufacturer can be contacted somehow (through Nippon?) and get the performance specs.

If it had excellent efficiency and was tested per the standard IOS tests, I'm sure the maker would let us know as that is a huge selling point to anyone who knows something about filters.

Maybe the manufacturer can be contacted somehow (through Nippon?) and get the performance specs.

It does on the top of the can,

it says ISO/ TS16949 & ISO9001

The same Certs as a baldwin filter

google it and you will see

The practice of building a filter from the base up allows quality and cost control, giving Baldwin Filters an advantage over the competition. To back up its commitment to quality, Baldwin Filters has achieved and maintains TS 16949 and ISO 9001 certifications in its facilities.

So it must be a better filter then I first thought

what you think?

Here is a pic from baldwin site

2jai975.jpg

Originally Posted By: sayjac
No need to roll the dice on this one.

I've only seen them listed on the NAPA Canada site. Where are they even sold down south? I'd probably have no qualms trying one, but it's an answer to a question no one asked. NAPA Canada already has their own line of filters (I can get the Wix cheaper elsewhere), Bosch (which I can get cheaper elsewhere), and this Ultra-8. Its price would have to be extremely outstanding when I can get the Bosch 3300 for under $5.

It does on the top of the can,

it says ISO/ TS16949 & ISO9001

The same Certs as a baldwin filter

google it and you will see

The practice of building a filter from the base up allows quality and cost control, giving Baldwin Filters an advantage over the competition. To back up its commitment to quality, Baldwin Filters has achieved and maintains TS 16949 and ISO 9001 certifications in its facilities.

So it must be a better filter then I first thought

what you think?

Those are manufacturing quality specs ... not performance test specs.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: sayjac
No need to roll the dice on this one.

I've only seen them listed on the NAPA Canada site. Where are they even sold down south? I'd probably have no qualms trying one, but it's an answer to a question no one asked. NAPA Canada already has their own line of filters (I can get the Wix cheaper elsewhere), Bosch (which I can get cheaper elsewhere), and this Ultra-8. Its price would have to be extremely outstanding when I can get the Bosch 3300 for under $5.

Well I totally cut the filter apart and it has 55 pleats and when I cut off the filter element it was over 4 FT long... I was shocked how long it was. Also the Tube on the inside was so strong I could not crush it my hand... I had to use both hands and I could start to feel it colapse.

From looking at the filter as i saw it I can say its a very well made filter.... I can stay that 100%

I have seen some filters made much cheaper... and made much more weaker.

Also the pleats if you look they are perfect as far as no large spaces also they are square at the ends and not pointed.

I like this filter... To bad its made in China....

However it at least looks better then other filters I have cut open.

It looks better then MANN and looks better then NAPA SILVER and Looks better the Bosch PREMIUM and looks better then Purolator Classic and looks better then FRAM OCOD. Just looks like a HIGH QUALITY OIL FILTER.. Perhaps I should of used it... Most times I like to see a oil filter cut open new... However some people say you can tell more about them when they are used for a X amount of miles

Its built like a TANK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back