ultra or hyundai oem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using the oem Hyundai filter on the 2013 sonata from the start but ehat do y'all think of it compared to the ultra? on this vehicle I've heard that it is picky/possible noise with others at startup, but that was before the ultra really gained popularity . running QSUD -engine is the 2.4 GDI --both are roughly same price--

I've used:

OEM
Ultra
ToughGuard
NapaGold
PuroBlue

Not one bit of difference in sound, feel or anything else. I wouldn't worry
smile.gif

ok--- glad to hear that from another Hyundai owner---- the ultra is more convenient for me.. thanks

Originally Posted By: joel95ex
the ultra is more convenient for me.. thanks

You and me both. You'll be perfectly fine.

The Sonata I used to own did get some bad noises with aftermarket filters. It wasn't on startup, either, it was when the vehicle was running.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...ck_#Post2920238

However, I would say go ahead and try aftermarket if you want to. It seems rare that vehicles get a noise like mine did. Just keep your ears open. If you get any weird noises, try going back to an OEM filter and see if they go away.

Also, I used to get OEM filters for a significant savings by buying them through the Auto 7 brand.

HP3_zpsb88fa879.jpg

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
The Sonata I used to own did get some bad noises with aftermarket filters. It wasn't on startup, either, it was when the vehicle was running.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...ck_#Post2920238

However, I would say go ahead and try aftermarket if you want to. It seems rare that vehicles get a noise like mine did. Just keep your ears open. If you get any weird noises, try going back to an OEM filter and see if they go away.

Also, I used to get OEM filters for a significant savings by buying them through the Auto 7 brand.

HP3_zpsb88fa879.jpg

that's what I was reading on the Hyundai forums--- thanks

How do you know they don't filter well? I am not trying to give you a hard time. I'm just curious about how or where you got some efficiency ratings on these Hyundai filters.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
How do you know they don't filter well? I am not trying to give you a hard time. I'm just curious about how or where you got some efficiency ratings on these Hyundai filters.
Only place I have found anything was from the old Australian Hyundai oil filter Y tube.

hyundai-oil-filter-1st-pass-efficency.jpg

I got 2 cases of Hyundai/Kia OEM filters for $49~ work cost. They have not let our fleet of suv's and cars down EVER

Ahh I see. Interesting. 99% @ 50 microns hmmmm. I am going to bet it's say 80% @ 30 micons and maybe 50-60% @ 20 microns at best. I will say the real Hyundai filters are really stout though.

Originally Posted By: joel95ex
I've been using the oem Hyundai filter on the 2013 sonata from the start but ehat do y'all think of it compared to the ultra? on this vehicle I've heard that it is picky/possible noise with others at startup, but that was before the ultra really gained popularity . running QSUD -engine is the 2.4 GDI --both are roughly same price--

I have used Hyundai OEM and aftermarket filters. I haven't experienced any issues either with aftermarket oil filters on my Elantra. I have used Mobil 1, Purolator P1 and Synthetic, NAPA Gold, NAPA Silver, Baldwin, Hastings, FRAM Ultra.

Hastings Engine Air Filter #AF1511

2011 Ford Focus SE, 2.0L
Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5W-20
Motorcraft Oil Filter #FL-910S
Motorcraft Engine Air Filter #FA-1890

How anyone can draw any conclusion of today's oem filter efficiency from that "test" is a head scratcher.

Originally Posted By: wemay
How anyone can draw any conclusion of today's oem filter efficiency from that "test" is a head scratcher.
It's the only data available.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ

Says it's 99.2% @ 50 microns or larger. It is what it is.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: SHOZ
How anconductingraw any conclusion of today's oem filter efficiency from that "test" is a head scratcher.

Says it's 99.2% @ 50 microns or larger. It is what it is.

Yes, nothing more, nothing less is said.

I wouldn't call that data or a test..I'd call it a screen shot from a relatively obscure source. It reminds me of an OEM filter where a poster listed the nominal rating and not the actual tested percentage and you had seventeen people parroting how [censored] the filter was...

While I use the Hyundai OEM filters and believe they're probably designed more toward flow and less toward filtration, I'd probably wait for an actual empirical test before I'd make any conclusions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back