Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's mandated to appear in the markets by October 2006. Sulfur as I know it lubes the injectors, injector pump, and other injection parts. I remember when fuel was 34 cents a gallon and I looked for the darkest fuel to run in my rig.

With the advent of low sulfur fuels...additives are common place for lubebrosity and many as well as me mix a few ounces of two stroke engine oil in on a fill up or add a quality additive in the Winter.

Today's diesel fuel really smells weird and when I replace a fuel filter instead of messing with filling the filter with diesel fuel, I fill it with ATF for a easy purge upon replacement of the filter.

QUESTION: Does anyone know how the new fuel will effect current diesel engines in these area's.

1. Lubrosity
2. Cetane levels
3. Long injections system life.

I understand that over the road rigs and farm equiptment will be exempt. Any other issues this new fuel could cause?

Off road diesel will be 500 PPM in the future. OTR rigs will be using ULSD AFAIK. All diesel fuel being shipped from most refineries is ULSD. But some of the 500PPM diesel is still in storage tanks, so the dilution factor is working now.

The ULSD is shipped from the refinery meeting lubricity specs. However this spec is a bare minimum spec. I recommend you add a lubricity additive.

Cetane levels are running 39-42 depending on the refinery. Some are higher, but it will be noted on the pump and you will pay according.

Longer injector life?? Running pure ULSD, don't bet on it. With the inception of ULSD the refinery is now doing a wear scar test on their diesel fuel. This was not required prior.It has to meet a minimum spec, and there is wear using ULSD.

smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back