Ultimate mix for 'metal cling'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As has been discussed here before, one of the the properties of ester-based oils and additives is that the esters 'cling' to the metal somewhat, and can reduce start-up friction.

In a similar way, one of the properties of the old EP add lead naphenate is that it does the same thing, namely: "Serves as polar surface activating and wetting agent for lubricant to metal". This is where Bardahl gets their claim to their 'polar cling' formula in their oil adds. It helps oil stick to metal and reduces start-up friction.

Perhaps you can see where I'm going with this - with these two substances having this valuable lubricating property, would a mix of the two (I'm thinking 1/2 quart Bardahl 1 add & 1/2 quart Redline oil) be the ultimate mix to reduce start-up friction? Or would these two substances cancel each other out in some way? Is my 'chemistry' even close to being on the right track?

maybe so try one at a time of forget the whole thing an just use Rl.

lead nap has been phased out is Bardahl with lead still sold in the US?

You might also try a HM or a FM energy/mileage type oil to.

bruce

quote:

Perhaps you can see where I'm going with this - with these two substances having this valuable lubricating property, would a mix of the two (I'm thinking 1/2 quart Bardahl 1 add & 1/2 quart Redline oil) be the ultimate mix to reduce start-up friction? Or would these two substances cancel each other out in some way? Is my 'chemistry' even close to being on the right track?

nono.gif

I don't mix oil or additives.

The oil in my sump is 5.5 quarts 5W-20 Group IV PAO full synthetic as it was poured from bottles. Nothing else.

It has excellent "metal cling" properties.

How do I know this? Because when I check the dipstick before initial morning startup, the oil is halfway to the top of it. I wipe off excess oil to get accurate oil level reading. This indicate similar conditions through other parts of engine as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back