Ultimate "el cheapo" oil change, LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
The ultimate cheap oil change involves oil that you bought on clearance and then actually made a profit on after MIR and a clearance oil filter that cost less than a buck and that might also have been a money-maker after MIR.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
So a running car that does an 80 mile commute isn't worth $4 more per oil change and you've already spent the $4? Redefining the word "cheap". One less Starbucks..
+1

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Can you change oil (filter+5 quarts) for less than ten dollars?

I did the other week with MaxLife 5W-30 blend and a Supertech oil filter. MaxLife was $15.88 at Walmart. Used $3 in store coupon plus I get a $10 rebate on the oil. Oil total cost $2.88 plus oil filter $2.84 plus tax equals round about $6.25.

Originally Posted By: OilyWaterMIXER
I applaud your recycling efforts.

Your car will likely be fine.
Especially the burned oil byproducts. The world needs more of that.

Why not just run the oil in each car for longer? Sounds like a lot of work to put used oil into a car. If I go through the work of changing oil in a car I'm not putting used stuff in there. I hardly think running the Honda out to the OLM will hurt it. The transmission will be the death of that thing anyway, not the engine.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: OilyWaterMIXER
I applaud your recycling efforts.

Your car will likely be fine.
Especially the burned oil byproducts. The world needs more of that.

Who said anybody is burning oil?

To save the dollars when you have a cheap stash, it is a waste of time.

BUT, I love the resource conservation aspect, for that, if I had a new car and a beater, I'd probably do the same thing.

Most beaters live forever on very few and far between oil changes, the beater would last just as long doing this method than just using straight new oil.

Keep it up!

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Why not just run the oil in each car for longer? Sounds like a lot of work to put used oil into a car. If I go through the work of changing oil in a car I'm not putting used stuff in there. I hardly think running the Honda out to the OLM will hurt it. The transmission will be the death of that thing anyway, not the engine.

Like I said, I don't want to go almost 10K on conventionals in the Honda. Also by doing 5K changes, I can replace the quality filter (NAPA Gold, etc.) every other change, at 10K.

The 2005 Hondas and later models do not have the trans issues the 2004 and earlier ones do. I also believe all the highway cruising is real easy on its trans as well as the engine.

I asked a similar question a while back (but using used oil as top off oil) and got similar responses as above.

I would say go right ahead and do it. I understand what your going for, it is not so much about cost as it is about being frugal.
As you said, I think the 2 qts of fresh oil would boost the used oil enough to be just fine.
My only concern would be going 10k on that. If it was 6 qts of fresh oil, then it would be fine, but you going to have 15k on 2/3 of that oil. More than likely you would be fine though, but unless you do a UOA (and the cost of that defeats the purpose of doing this).

Sell the car if you aren't going to use it. Less insurance money, etc etc.

You could go a 1x per year oil change with supertech for 10 dollars.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
2001 Grand Marquis, 178K miles, driven on interstate 80 miles/day. Don't really give a flip about this car, so I want to do the bare minimum to keep it functional.

So, having "almost free" Mobil and PYB oils at hand, I do 5000 mile changes on my nice Honda Odyssey, while the OLM usually indicates 40% or 50% life remaining. Thinking that this used oil could almost go another 5000 miles (if I wanted to push it), I drain and use 4 quarts of it, then add two new quarts to make the 6 quarts total needed for the Marquis oil changes. I think the 2 new quarts boosts the TBN and additives enough to get by.

I use a cheap but decent quality filter like NAPA Silver or FL820s for 10K intervals. My cost per change is less than $5. The Marquis seems to be surviving...so far...LOL.

I like running the Honda to down to 20% and keeping the 4.6L on 10,000 mi oil changes better.

+1
The OP could always spend a buck or two more and use something a little better in the Ody that he'd be comfortable running down to 15% MM, assuming that his Honda actually has the IOLM found in later vehicles.
If not, if he has a couple of hundred quarts of buck each clearance oil, then I don't know why he'd be worried about trying to get every dime out of it.
If I relied upon what I regarded as a beater for eighty miles a day, I think I'd at least give it fresh oil when OCI time came.
There is a difference between frugality and penny wise and pound foolish.
The OP may have crossed that line.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Sounds like a waste of time. Run the Oddysey's maintenance minder to its full interval.

I hear ya. I definitely would, if I was using synthetics. I just don't want to go almost 10K on conventionals. even though the Honda is almost 100% highway useage. By doing 5K changes, I replace the quality filter (NAPA Gold, etc.) every other change, at 10K.

What does the owner's manual require for oil? My '08 Civic's MM assumes mineral and will typically prompt me to change the oil at around 7k+ miles. I'm also on my third interval for the Fram Ultra filter (~21k miles total when I change the oil next). For this particular filter, I would consider a 10k miles interval to be a waste of time and money.

Even if your MM is calibrated for synthetic oil, I'd still run it out to 10k, if that's what your MM OCI is, since most of your miles are highway.

Either way, if you don't consider the oil used up for the purposes of using it in one vehicle (the Marquis), it shouldn't be considered used up for any vehicle (including the Honda). The oil is either good to go or used up.

The exception MIGHT be wanting the best oil in a heavy-duty vehicle, and then putting it's used oil in a very light-duty vehicle, where a sheared down viscosity and somewhat depleted additive package means something to the heavy-duty vehicle, but won't for the transplant vehicle.

I think your car will be fine. Remember folks this is a Grand Marquis, aka Crown Vic... The standard issue police cruiser and taxicab for 20 years... very durable.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
So a running car that does an 80 mile commute isn't worth $4 more per oil change and you've already spent the $4? Redefining the word "cheap". One less Starbucks..

Yeah, this. I mean, driving 80 miles I'd be more worried than saving on fuel than oil changes. You might be robbing Peter to save Paul rather than just using a quality, but cheaper, syn like SuperTech. I'd pony up $12 on the syn for 5W-20 or 30 with fresh additives...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back