Ultimate Cheapie Oil Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
An article by a sail boater in the Caribbean who would leave his used diesel oil on the dock for the locals to use, and this forum has gotten me to thinking.

Given the following:

1. The vast pre-ponderance of 3000 mile OCI doityourselfers.
2. The strong possibility that an oil filter is good for 10k miles.

I wonder, if an individual went to their local recycle center with a siphon pump and "borrowed" five gallons of used oil and a couple of filters (to be returned), is there much liklihood they'd be doing any damage to their engine with 3000 mile OCI and filter intervals? Personally, I'd probably strain the oil through an old T-shirt first.

Just wondering, anybody ever do a used oil analysis on oil found in the recycle center oil tank?

I wouldn't even think of it. Lord knows what else could be in that barrel. Diesel fuel, ATF, gear oil.

Go to Wal-Mart and buy some cheap oil and a Super Tech filter and be done with it.

If you are in dire financial straits, just change the filter with a Super Tech for $1.97 and top off with $1 a quart dino oil.

quote:

Originally posted by ex_MGB:
-*-*-*-
Just wondering, anybody ever do a used oil analysis on oil found in the recycle center oil tank?

No but I did a drain at a garage with my oil and the guy tried to sell me his "special oil" and I had told him all about my oil for some time, any way he saved it, and guess what I found: He ran it through a Timkin machine, and it did "about just as good" as HIS oil, Mine = Used (with boatloads of moly) his NEW.... Hummm
made him think. He asked why I changed the oil, I said Oil analysis, he said something about now really knowing how much you can trust those things, and that my oil was still good.

As far as spending my $$$ @ some bulk mixed used oil brew, I'd consider it a waste... unless you are researching the average JOE, and had some standards to sample and save, etc the used oil... Just a waste

Considering that I keep my oil drain containor outside on occasion in nasty weather, the fact that I've poured 80-140 gear oil into my oil containor, ATF, and lots of dirt has gotten in to it, I would NEVER in my wildest dreams put "oil" (in reality, it's a mix of oil and other fluids and sludge) from a recycling tank into an engine. Well, maybe for that Camry those guys rigged up with the remote controls
wink.gif

if someone is absolutly broke and cant even afford walmart oil, 64 cent per quart non detergent oil would be better than waste oil out of a recycling tank no doubt.
even the r/c camry diserves better than waste oil!

Yeah...it's not JUST motor oil...and it's not JUST 3000 mile OCI's. Lots of people go longer than that, especially single women.
wink.gif
The oil would be a mixture of every kind of oil that is in a car, and possibly things like antifreeze and brake fluid. I just dropped off several gallons myself that was a mix of gear oil, ATF, and really really dirty motor oil.

I was at the recycling center just after Thanksgiving and watched a guy dump oil he just deep-fat fried his turkey in into the used motor oil vat. He had it in some sort of transparent jug that had about 2 gallons of water in with it. Into the recycling tank it went, even after I said to him that I didnt think turkey cooking oil should go into the tank. He said "Oh, yeah they dont mind."
pat.gif

I wonder how that stuff'll work in your car? Probably would make your engine hungry and feel bloated all at the same time!

Hypothetically, I leave pails of used mouthwash on the sidewalk in front of my home.....a few people pick up the pails and make use of the mouthwash for reasons unknown....by extension, it's probably a smart and logical thing to give used mouthwash a try, right?

quote:

it's probably a smart and logical thing to give used mouthwash a try, right?

lol.gif

During my short term in the "gas-jockey" realm of the trade I'll let you know that many a poor vehicle owner was saved a siezed oil drinking engine by the outlet valve of our drain can.
grin.gif
..but their engines were null and void anyway
tongue.gif

quote:

Originally posted by TC:
Hypothetically, I leave pails of used mouthwash on the sidewalk in front of my home.....a few people pick up the pails and make use of the mouthwash for reasons unknown....by extension, it's probably a smart and logical thing to give used mouthwash a try, right?

I'll go you one better and put a pail of used beer out and see if anyone drinks it.
biggthumbcoffe.gif

On the more serious side, I agree with Gary Allen's sentiment about a reasonable use for used oil.

How about free oil for a cheapie oil change? Way back in my pump jockey days, my boss at a Gulf station would drain all the emptied quart oil cans into a big drum. The last few drips from a whole lot of oil cans supplied him with free oil for regular changes. Not sure what he did for filters.

The oil at our shop that dribbles out of the bulk tank goes into a drum underneath, and we use that for old beaters that are on their way to the auction if the oil is down.

I have put used solvents paint ATF gear oil brake fluid antifreeze keroseene old gas and all the stuff that stuff picked up along the way in recycling tanks,

I know you are only suppose to put used oil in there but there are no other outlets for that stuff I figure it is better there than in out ground watter supply
shocked.gif

any car run on that would not last long
nono.gif

Well, my thought was that you'd hit the recycle drum when it was 2/3 full or so. The water would go to the bottom as well as grit and sediments. The light weight ATF stuff would go to the top. So, I'd run the siphon down to the middle.

I doubt any of the oil that goes in has much more than 3 or 4 thousand miles. I've got one more UOA container on hand. Looks like I'll be hitting the recycle center.

Sometimes a mans just gotta do what a mans gotta do. I'm wondering how a dirty T-shirt strainer might skew the results.

quote:

Originally posted by ex_MGB:
Well, my thought was that you'd hit the recycle drum when it was 2/3 full or so. The water would go to the bottom as well as grit and sediments. The light weight ATF stuff would go to the top. So, I'd run the siphon down to the middle.

I doubt any of the oil that goes in has much more than 3 or 4 thousand miles. I've got one more UOA container on hand. Looks like I'll be hitting the recycle center.

Sometimes a mans just gotta do what a mans gotta do. I'm wondering how a dirty T-shirt strainer might skew the results.

After all those posts, you STILL want to do it? If you care that little about your oil what the heck are you doing on this board?
shocked.gif
Come on, even the cheapest oil they have at walmart would be 10 times better than the crap you get out of there. If you can't spend $5 for an oil change you shouldn't be driving a car. Why bother changing your oil in the first place? That's like taking a shower and putting back on your 3 day old clothes...

quote:

Originally -*-*-*-

Sometimes a mans just gotta do what a mans gotta do. I'm wondering how a dirty T-shirt strainer might skew the results. [/QB]

It's not just the OIL being clean. It's all the different mixes (brews) CLASH !
Hey, but if your boat likes to float in this, have at it, and post the results.

Any bets, If I was a betting man, SILICON is over 50 ppm ????
dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back