UHP All Season Recommd'tions (Spec. Requirements)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quest
0~7C for most part of PNW winter weather, but you also have to consider the unanticipated (like right now, -5C last nite @ YVR airport, with windchills a bit further down below). That's when moisture trapped on the surface of the road will ice up, or form black ice....what happens next while you are on your all-seasons is pretty much everyone's guess.

Seriously, you have to prioritise your needs. Even my wifey's car is already on winter set of tires (we have a set of all-seasons turanza serenity for the rest of the seasons) and that helped her get past that incline south on rupert st. during winter months with full confidence.

I'm on all-weather, RAC-approved Hankook 4S on my car and I don't have to change them out even during winter months.

*something to consider*

Q.

I agree, that's why I have dedicated winters and will put them on this weekend (and leave them on for the 1-2 months I have to).

Considering you have dedicated winters, I'd tend to use performance winters for your next set, they'll be tolerable to leave on a bit longer (for cold, dry roads) and allow you to run summers the rest of the year.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rslifkin
Considering you have dedicated winters, I'd tend to use performance winters for your next set, they'll be tolerable to leave on a bit longer (for cold, dry roads) and allow you to run summers the rest of the year.

Yes, it sounds like Nokian made the WRG3s just for you!

Then you can run a rain oriented (read; deep grooves/rain channels) pure summer, UHP/Max Performance tire the rest of the time.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: rslifkin

Yes, it sounds like Nokian made the WRG3s just for you!

Then you can run a rain oriented (read; deep grooves/rain channels) pure summer, UHP/Max Performance tire the rest of the time.
wink.gif

Great points guys! I never considered that. Unfortunately, I already have General Altimax's that are, as a consequence of me running them on average 1 month of the year for the last 3 years, pretty brand spankin' new LOL! Got them at cost through Ford on their Canadian mandated special for cars that come with summers stock.

Saw the Proxes 4 Plus on display at my local [censored] Tires. Ruling them out; soft squishy sidewall.

Two Pirellis might be interesting. The Zero Nero all season come with a nice stiff sidewall and are well regarded by Tirerack. I'm really interested in their newly released "P Zero All Season Plus".

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=P+Zero+All+Season+Plus

Check out the Tirerack video:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=P+Zero+All+Season+Plus

They seem to like this tire quite a bit!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ajwan
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
IMO, you're asking for impossible.

The RE970s were pretty close for my needs. All I'd change on these would be an asymmetrical and I think that should be it.

Could you have the RE970s remounted once during their life to even out the tire wear?

Then you're left with the fuel economy issue only which I think is a non issue, particularly in wet weather which I understand you get a lot of.

Originally Posted By: aa1986
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
IMO, you're asking for impossible.

The RE970s were pretty close for my needs. All I'd change on these would be an asymmetrical and I think that should be it.

Could you have the RE970s remounted once during their life to even out the tire wear?

Then you're left with the fuel economy issue only which I think is a non issue, particularly in wet weather which I understand you get a lot of.

Lots of great ideas here guys! At this point, considering that my tread is down to 4/32", I'm afraid it's too late.
smile.gif

Looking at Tire Rack survey results, you can match the RE970AS in the wet / dry and get a meaningful improvement in the snow with the Goodyear Eagle F1 or the Hankook Ventus S1

Goodyear are more expensive but have a $60 rebate if you buy before the end of the year. In fact buy 4 & 4 select winter tires and get $250 back.

The Hankook Ventus S1 noble are only slightly worse than the Goodyears in the snow but they get really good scores for ride comfort and noise. And they are cheaper so perhaps a good choice.

The Michelins are the only tire significantly better than the RE970AS in the wet and dry but don't improve on the snow performance very much.

I think there are two finalists then:
-Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric All Season, and
-P Zero All Season Plus

I suppose the lesser known "value" brands (Falken, Nitto, Cooper etc.) have compromises, somewhere.

I think there are two finalists then:
-Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric All Season, and
-P Zero All Season Plus

I suppose the lesser known "value" brands (Falken, Nitto, Cooper etc.) have compromises, somewhere.

Even the expensive tires, have compromises somewhere, like all tires do. Falken, Nitto, Kumho, and Hankook are good tires!

That said, the Falken Ziex ZE950 is probably a good option, too. Probably everything you need in a tire, since it's most likely ok in cold weather and the lowest temps you'll encounter. It might not be the best in snow, but that's ok since you don't get too much snow.

I would've gotten the 950's on my car, except they weren't available at the time (they came out right after I bought my Dunlops!)

That said, the Dunlop SP Sport Signature is also worth considering if they make it in your size.

Maybe buying cheap decent studable tires (Altimax Arctic) that you use 1 month out of the year was not such a great idea? Run them longer, use them up and buy something that you can use more often.

Krzys

Originally Posted By: krzyss
Maybe buying cheap decent studable tires (Altimax Arctic) that you use 1 month out of the year was not such a great idea? Run them longer, use them up and buy something that you can use more often.

Krzys

Well, hindsight is always 20-20, isn't it? But I suspect i would get pretty annoyed still, even with some sort of performance winter on. My hope is that this thread will benefit the readers out there/community!

What has your experience been with Pirellis?

Last edited:
The Goodyear Eagle All Seasons, for a non-uhp all season, seem to be very well regarded too.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+Sport+All-Season+%28V-Speed+Rated%29

The Goodyear Eagle All Seasons, for a non-uhp all season, seem to be very well regarded too.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+Sport+All-Season+%28V-Speed+Rated%29

Nevermind that; as good as they are in the dry, their wet performance is a significant downgrade from what I already have (Bridgestone RE970AS).

Just to add to the conversation:

I run Goodyear Eagle GTs as my 3 season tires on the Audi, and Hankook I*cept 310s for the winter months of Dec - Mar. We get far more snow that you do, but it's plowed pretty quickly.

I honestly cannot tell the difference in performance in dry or wet between the two tires. The Hankook makes cold weather a non-factor in the car's handling. My winter tires are 225 and 3 seasons are 235, and I think the winter ones are just a bit better in handling. Both tires have fairly firm sidewalls, even at door placard tire pressures.

If your current Acrtics are near new, you can probably get a premium used tire price for them on kijiji and put that money towards a performance oriented winter tire and keep them on for 3 or 4 months a year.

Looks like the second and latest "frigid" spell is almost over. Still no need to change over to dedicated winters. And won't need to for at least the next couple of weeks....

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/14-day-weather-trend/canada/british-columbia/vancouver

Thank goodness!

As a side, the reason I wasn't so worried is because when we do get these "frigid" spells here in BC, they are almost always due to an "arctic high". Typically meaning very dry. For you chemistry types, I believe sublimation typically takes care of any remaining moisture on the roads (phase change from ice directly to vapour).

The pilot sport a/s 3 is the benchmark best UHP out there right now IMO.

Those would also be ok for full summer use.

If they aren't adequate for winter, sell the current winter tires and run performance winters the 4months a year.

dunlop Sport 4d etc

Last edited:
I put General GMax on the second set of wheels for my Camaro SS. They have huge sipes and do well in the rain. I had different goals than you, I.e., I didn't buy them for snow but to save my summers from the occasional summer road trip and to keep from getting caught out on summers during seasonal transitions. The Tahoe is for snow.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back