UHP All Season Recommd'tions (Spec. Requirements)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a big fan of the Zeon RS3-A; I run the tire year-round on my son's X3 and as the winter tire on my mildly tweaked MS3. Good steering response, excellent wet/dry traction, and quiet for the life of the tire. Speaking of which, I've put over 43,000 miles on the set fitted to the MS3, and I'll probably get over 50,000 miles out of them.
The MS3 RS3-As were made in the USA, the X3's were made in China- I can tell no difference in the performance or quality.

Other tires I would recommend are the Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3 and the Pirelli P Zero Nero All Season.

I too have searched far and wide for a tire that performs well in the cold DRY weather, and it seems NO ONE actually makes one (at least not specifically for that purpose).
frown.gif

Supposedly, Nokian, many many years ago had a high speed rated, summer tread patterned tire which would grip very well at DRY sub 0*F ambient temps, but I've never seen one.

That being said, my BFG g force Super Sport all seasons seem to stick the best of any non-winter tire I've ever had, in the cold and dry weather.

I suspect the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 3 is the same or better, being the parent company of BF Goodrich.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
I too have searched far and wide for a tire that performs well in the cold DRY weather, and it seems NO ONE actually makes one (at least not specifically for that purpose).
frown.gif

Isn't that what performance winter tires are for?

Michelin Pilot Alpin, Pirelli Sottozero, Dunlop winter sport, Hankook iCept evo, Yoko W-Drive, etc.

Also, dedicated winter tires have special requirements that need to be met in order to be legally considered winter tires, such as decent snow traction. "mountain and snowflake" (many European countries and some Canadian provinces require that certification)

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
frown.gif

Isn't that what performance winter tires are for?

Michelin Pilot Alpin, Pirelli Sottozero, Dunlop winter sport, Hankook iCept evo, Yoko W-Drive, etc.

Yes, by compound, but, they are STILL somewhat 'squirmy'.

The ultimate would be a summer tread pattern, with winter tire compounding, for those areas which stay very dry, but get REALLY cold.
wink.gif

(Like what the teams use on the cold, but dry, tarmac stages of the Monte Carlo round of the WRC.)

I've run Pilot Sport A/S 3 (W-rated) on my 2004 WRX in cold weather around the Nevada side of Lake Tahoe, although not really snow. There were absolutely no chain controls as it hadn't snowed in a couple of days, where the plows had probably gone through several times. There were patches of ice on the shaded roads and I didn't sense any slippage, although AWD might have helped. I parked in iced-up parking lots and at reasonable parking speeds I didn't sense any loss of traction. I've experimented with panic braking in the center of a snow covered parking lot (on other tires), and ABS actuated and I slid/plowed to a stop.

It was odd seeing all the NDOT snow plows running by often, as if they're simply assigned to drive around just in case there's a freak snow dump.

frown.gif

Supposedly, Nokian, many many years ago had a high speed rated, summer tread patterned tire which would grip very well at DRY sub 0*F ambient temps, but I've never seen one.

That being said, my BFG g force Super Sport all seasons seem to stick the best of any non-winter tire I've ever had, in the cold and dry weather.

I suspect the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 3 is the same or better, being the parent company of BF Goodrich. !;)

The Bridgestone RE970AS I have on currently are wonderful on dry roads at least down to -5C. People don't seem to like its light snow performance though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ajwan
The Bridgestone RE970AS I have on currently are wonderful on dry roads at least down to -5C. People don't seem to like its light snow performance though.

The RE960AS was the other tire I was considering back when I first used the BFG SS all seasons, since it was one of the very few still made in my size, 245/50-16 (they never made my size in the RE970AS).

Ironically, I was considering the B-Stones at the time, for what I perceived (by tread pattern at least) as more possible snow/ice traction than the BFGs.

Originally Posted By: ajwan

The RE960AS was the other tire I was considering back when I first used the BFG SS all seasons, since it was one of the very few still made in my size, 245/50-16 (they never made my size in the RE970AS).

Ironically, I was considering the B-Stones at the time, for what I perceived (by tread pattern at least) as more possible snow/ice traction than the BFGs.

The RE960AS were state of the art for snow performance in an all-season tire at the time. I has a set on my WRX and it did pretty well when I took it to Tahoe or Yosemite in the winter. My previous tires were the Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S, which were horrible for the conditions. Why they were marketed as an all-season tire was a mystery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back