Uh oh....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed the oil today in my son's 94 Acclaim. Used ST syn 10W30 from my stash. Oil is about 3 years old and is sl/cf rated. Looked in the bottom of one of the bottles and saw a brownish residue. Addative settled out?
shocked.gif
Will the poor old 2.5L 4 with ~188K be destroyed?
pat.gif

Well, anyway I hedged it some. I used 3 Qts. ST syn 10W30, 1 Qt. Rotella T 15W40, 4oz. VSOT, 4oz LC20 and enough drain oil* to make up a qt.
wink.gif
Plan to run this 1 year/10,000 miles.
gr_eek2.gif

*Drain oil, M1 10-30, RTS 5-40, Tection 15-40 Shell 10-30 ST 5-30,10-30,10-40,15-40 ATF+3, ATF+4, Some aeroshell w100, Who knows what else.
grin.gif

I'd go to Big Lots, get a bottle of SLOB (CD-2 Street Legal High Performance Oil Boost, pink 15 oz bottle) for $1.99, dump it in, and forget about it. Alternative is swish a few ounces of oil in that empty bottle until whatever it is loosens up and then dump it in the engine. Either way, unless there was a lot of this residue, I doubt it will matter if left out.

Next oil change with the old SuperTech oil, simpy shake it up good before you open the bottle & pour it in. I recently saw some dark traces that had settled out of some Formula Shell 5w30 SL/GF-3. That was, of course, after the oil was poured into my engine, along with Auto-Rx.
grin.gif
No, I haven't worried about it. I don't think you should either. Now we know, right? We can shake it up next time, right?

FWIW, I remember seeing a *lot* of this about 12 to 15 years ago with a well know brand of motor oil, starts with a "V", came in a white bottle & claimed to be for "many weathers".
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back