Uh oh! Jiffy Lube is Now Selling and Installing Tires + Brake Work

The locally owned Zippy Lube here has been selling tires for a couple years. Haven't been there is several years so not sure what else the are doing, maybe batteries.

Good idea business wise. Challenge is brakes require a adept mechanic while tires not so much.
Brakes aren't that challenging and turn a decent profit. A lot of stores have a semi-ok tech who fixes everyone else's foul-ups. If you can re-tap a drain hole you can do pads and rotors.

Ergo why we have "Mavis tires and Brakes" and why Meineke/ Midas switched from exhausts (which stopped rusting out like they used to with leaded fuel) to undercar work, including tires.

Plus I'm sure they want a piece of the electric car pie.

Reactions: hrv
They have always done brakes and tires here. Any of the JL franchises that say multicare at the bottom of the sign do a little bit of everything. There was always at least 2 oil changers on duty and a mechanic and a state inspector at the one here. I know cause I know people who have worked there and I have worked there unfortunately too. All I can say without sharing too much is don’t go there for anything and especially don’t have a wheel lock if you do. It really varies by the people who own it but it’s best to not go especially not for brakes.

Jiffy Lube brake job... By the guys who seem to have issues doing a basic oil change... What could possibly go wrong? 🤣
No they really don't have many issues at all. But when your friends cousin, twice removed, from the other side of the family does it gets posted on here. The truth of the matter is they maintain alot of fleet vehicles-and do so without issue. Think about all the Jiffy Lubes, Valvoline Instant Places, and all the others and how many problems do you really see posted on the Internet...home of the disgruntled consumer? There are plenty of shadetree mechanics that no matter how bad the rotors look-just slap pads on in their backyards. So yea.....

Last edited:
If I was to open a shop right now, I’d simply do tires, brakes and fluids (maybe alignments). That’s about it. I wouldn’t touch one single check engine light, diag or any sort of major component replacement. Do a few things well, do them fast, get em in get em out. Simple repairs with beginner techs with a few years experience. Keep it simple, keep it fast, keep the volume going. Don’t waste your time with enormous jobs, ASE master techs chasing diagnostic problems that customers can’t understand why it costs so much, and techs not getting paid fairly. Keep it simple, keep the cars coming in, and let someone else deal with these headaches.

If I was to open a shop right now, I’d simply do tires, brakes and fluids (maybe alignments). That’s about it. I wouldn’t touch one single check engine light, diag or any sort of major component replacement. Do a few things well, do them fast, get em in get em out. Simple repairs with beginner techs with a few years experience. Keep it simple, keep it fast, keep the volume going. Don’t waste your time with enormous jobs, ASE master techs chasing diagnostic problems that customers can’t understand why it costs so much, and techs not getting paid fairly. Keep it simple, keep the cars coming in, and let someone else deal with these headaches.
There's a reason why the Firestone business model is quite successful.

Back