Uh Oh, I put Mobil 1 High Mileage In A New Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the title says, I put in Mobil 1 High Mileage in my newly rebuilt Toyota 3.4. I broke it in with 5W30 dino oil and an EOS and just changed it and not until I realized that I goofed and got the High Mileage instead of the straight Mobil 1 5W30.
Should I be concerned? Is it advisable to dump it and swap in the correct one?
I feel like a total boob
frown.gif

Guess I should have read the friggin' label BEFORE I put it in! I've only put about 500 miles since then.

Thanx!

Bud

You or the engine will never know the difference.

You should be concerned because the engine actually have souls and it knows what you put in there.

April's Fools. LOL!!!

It's got a higher treat rate of seal conditioners and more anti wear additives, some would argue it's a better oil than API SN synthetics and I might agree.

Yes it has seal swellers. But they won't take effect for 10000 miles. So you will have dumped the oil by then I assume. Other than that it's a really good break in oil IMO

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
It's got a higher treat rate of seal conditioners and more anti wear additives, some would argue it's a better oil than API SN synthetics and I might agree.

Or step up the protection a notch.

Bud, if you really care about the motor, you could drop the 5w-30 M1 HM and pour in some 10w-30 M1 HM. It's still SL, with lots more protective goodies in it and an HTHS of 3.5!

Originally Posted By: Oro_O

Or step up the protection a notch.

Bud, if you really care about the motor, you could drop the 5w-30 M1 HM and pour in some 10w-30 M1 HM. It's still SL, with lots more protective goodies in it and an HTHS of 3.5!

The 5w20 and 5w30 were SL last I checked, but the 10w30 does have the higher HTHSV

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Yes it has seal swellers. But they won't take effect for 10000 miles. So you will have dumped the oil by then I assume. Other than that it's a really good break in oil IMO
So you want to say that the seal swelling only start to work after 10000 miles after poring a high milage oil in an engine? How do you know this?
I have heard that the reason high mileage oil should not be put in a normal engine is that it will swell the seals so you have to allways use the high mileage oil going forward...

The 5w20 and 5w30 were SL last I checked, but the 10w30 does have the higher HTHSV

Oops, you're right. The 10w-40 HM is SN (which annoys me, I want that in SL). The 5ws are indeed still SL. I keep trying to figure out why they make it SN but can't come up with a reason.

The 10w-30 is also A3/B3, but that's probably only because of the HTHS; 3.5 being the floor for that cert I think. I really like that oil.

Last edited:
I had a thought. Seriously, I have always used M1 in my wifes '04 Dodge Stratus and it is due for an oil change. Maybe I will just do a transfusion of this oil in her car and put fresh M1 in my truck. All I know is the Mobil 1 is great stuff and I figure I cant go wrong whichever way I go.

Thanx!

Originally Posted By: Oro_O

Oops, you're right. The 10w-40 HM is SN (which annoys me, I want that in SL). The 5ws are indeed still SL. I keep trying to figure out why they make it SN but can't come up with a reason.

The reason is very simple. API SM/SN imposes restrictions on additive levels for all Xw-20 and Xw-30 grades. The Xw-40 grades are not subject to such restrictions. That's why M1 HM 10w-40 can claim API SN compliance despite having the same add pack as M1 HM 10w-30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back