Ugh quickly lube overfilled by an inch on the dipstick:(

I feel like we get one of these threads every month or so.
I say, ’so freaking what!’

An inch over is nothing. Rest easy, OP.

Reactions: JC1
I’m on the road so I can’t go back to the same shop. I crawled under and got some out. Should have drained more but what do you guys think now?
Sorry the photo isn’t the best but now it’s another 1 centimetre past full. The photo isn’t good. It’s still slightly overfilled but before it was literately 1 inch overfilled on the dipstick
Just leave it now. As others have posted don't overthink it. You're good to go.

If I recall correctly his Hummer goes through oil like no tomorrow.

since he has already drained it his job is to keep check the stick and adding along the way.

Reactions: JC1
If I recall correctly his Hummer goes through oil like no tomorrow.

since he has already drained it his job is to keep check the stick and adding along the way.
This is the least of his problems with that vehicle.

OP, it’s fine. It’ll burn off in no time.

Wet Sump LS Engines require overfill in cars for track use. In a C5 Corvette minimum of 1 qt of overfill and it started to get into the crank at about 2.5 qt overfill. I don't know enough about oil level in the truck sump to say where the limit is on them.

Last edited:
In my truck with a 6.0 Vortec GM LQ4; the lube place seems like they overfilled by 1 inch on my dipstick. I checked many times on various diff surfaces once I got home. It originally takes 6 quarts for the engine but idk how much they put in.
I didn't care to check cuz I’ve never had this problem before.
It’s basically an inch above the hash marks on the dipstick.

so do I drain? Or what do I look for?

thx

Start your engine, let it run for a bit so the oil gets up top, then turn it off and check the oil level immediately after that. If it's near the full mark or bellow you're fine, leave it alone. The C7 Corvette requires you overfill the engine by a quart for track use. Most engines have a buffer filled in. Hell, Hyundai shipped cars with the Theta II Engine underfilled by over half a quart for at least four years. Then they had the entire "replace the dipstick with new one that's orange" bonanza, while new engines with the correct oil level shipped with the red dipstick.

We golden thanks so much. I totally don’t mind when it’s like a centimeter or half a centimeter. But this place literally did 1+ inch so I was like wow.
Now it’s at a good spot :)

We golden thanks so much. I totally don’t mind when it’s like a centimeter or half a centimeter. But this place literally did 1+ inch so I was like wow.
Now it’s at a good spot :)

So what did you end up doing?

I’m on the road so I can’t go back to the same shop. I crawled under and got some out. Should have drained more but what do you guys think now?
Sorry the photo isn’t the best but now it’s another 1 centimetre past full. The photo isn’t good. It’s still slightly overfilled but before it was literately 1 inch overfilled on the dipstick

The oil inside the oil filter and the oil galleries up to the top of the intake manifold will drain out, but no more. Yes, you have to have a pan and yes it makes a mess, ( unless you buy an Oil Udder). Oil Udder guys, you owe me on. :)
Keep in mind, your dipstick enters the oil pan at an angle so one inch on the dipstick is less than one inch of oil level. I would not worry about it.

Yes we do!

Back