Ugh quickly lube overfilled by an inch on the dipstick:(

One thing you can do next time is to find a shop that lets you bring your own oil/filter in and that way you know exactly what gets poured in and how much.

I wouldn't worry about it.
Most O.M caution to remove any overfilled oil. I wouldn't worry about a cup but I would drain a Qt. over fill.
This can really mess up the PCV and intake manifold. And if you are sitting on a hill, you could foam up the oil and put crank journals at risk. not to mention other hydraulic systems like tappets and VVT. OP should go back to the Quick Lube morons and have them drain the excess.

I’m on the road so I can’t go back to the same shop. I crawled under and got some out. Should have drained more but what do you guys think now?
Sorry the photo isn’t the best but now it’s another 1 centimetre past full. The photo isn’t good. It’s still slightly overfilled but before it was literately 1 inch overfilled on the dipstick
That should be OK.

In my truck with a 6.0 Vortec GM LQ4; the lube place seems like they overfilled by 1 inch on my dipstick. I checked many times on various diff surfaces once I got home. It originally takes 6 quarts for the engine but idk how much they put in.
I didn't care to check cuz I’ve never had this problem before.
It’s basically an inch above the hash marks on the dipstick.

so do I drain? Or what do I look for?

thx
Personally I would drain it. I can't stand when it's overfilled even just a bit nevermind a whole inch. DIY or bring it back. I agree with what Lubener said.

This happened in August.

Now, two months later, I’m certain that the 2003 Hummer in question has burned off this overfill and more.

Back