Ubuntu stick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
please dont laugh. i for got how to use my 128g lexar stick. as you figured out iam not good with linux. but ill never do without linux

Last edited:
Originally Posted by red7404
please dont laugh. i for got how to use my 128g lexar stick. as you figured out iam not good with linux. but ill never do without linux

Why use something that's hard for you to use? Linux is fantastic for servers but as a daily driver desktop or laptop OS, it's a pain in the [censored]. Just use Windows...

More info, please. Also, search Google, if you know what question you really want to ask.

I created a Linux Mint stick a few years back when the OS partition of my HDD failed. The rest of the drive was fine and I was able to safely relocate all of my files!

Anyway, Google your make of PC for how to enter the UEFI (BIOS). All I needed to do is continually tap F8 or something while booting to get to my UEFI screen (BIOS) and move the USB port to the top of the boot list.
Actually, I think I might have had to delete all other boot options, since I seem to recall it trying to boot to Windows, even with the USB port at the top of the list...YMMV

Originally Posted by dogememe

Why use something that's hard for you to use? Linux is fantastic for servers but as a daily driver desktop or laptop OS, it's a pain in the [censored]. Just use Windows...

That might just be the most ridiculous thing I've ever read here.
Linux and derivatives are absolutely solid, reliable, workable software suites that are great for a everyday use.
Give Mint with Cinnamon a try.

Originally Posted by beanoil

Linux and derivatives are absolutely solid, reliable, workable software suites that are great for a everyday use.

He's got a point, though. Based on how little info the OP gave us, he or she isn't very technically literate. For the vast majority of people, sticking with an OS that requires them to only have to hit the ON button is best.

I do agree that Linux is great, but I only have a Mint stick as a backup. I'm not techno-guru - I just followed instructions online on how to do it, which was incredibly simple.

I know! I HATE having all of my software available from ONE place, tested and compiled. I LOATHE having zero bloatware, malware, viruses to worry about. And knowing my OS doesn't supply my data to some nefarious party because all of the source code is open? ARGH!

I WANT someone to take my money and then keep demanding more just for the privilege of continuing to securely use the thing I thought I bought. I HATE FREEDOM. And stability. And support.

Using Linux is tough sleddin'. I never get to recover from system crashes, either. That stinks. And updates? SHEESH. They take like 60 seconds and rarely do I ever reboot. If I want to install it on multiple systems, I just do it. I even - yuck - feel like I can install it for friends, family and neighbours. Oh, the humanity! :^)

I"d venture a guess that OP needs to adjust their BIOS to book off of the USB stick.

I bought a Lenovo M92P tiny computer that had Win10 mounted and got rid of it without even booting. If Win10 is so wonderful, maybe I should have dual booted. But... I love, love love Ubuntu Mate (and other distros I've tried). Why that would be considered hard to use, is beyond me. The points made by the Windsor poster is right on.

As to the OP, your message is a bit foggy. The trick is to find the requisite function key, hit it repeatedly while booting and bring your stick up to the top of the order so the stick boots it. Clarity would have helped.

With stick inserted power up, hit the BIOS boot selector on startup, typically F11. Choose the USB stick.

yes that worked. thanks. i found some old info i had forgot. about. i had made a program to calculate the jets for AFB carbs

Use what is familiar to you and easy to get your tasks done. Hooking a consumer grade printer up to Ubuntu, Mint etc has not worked across two printers. However Apple and Windows it just works.

Originally Posted by madRiver

Use what is familiar to you and easy to get your tasks done. Hooking a consumer grade printer up to Ubuntu, Mint etc has not worked across two printers. However Apple and Windows it just works.

That's funny because Apple uses the same printing system - CUPS, Common Unix Printing System - as most Linux distributions.

Originally Posted by uc50ic4more

That's funny because Apple uses the same printing system - CUPS, Common Unix Printing System - as most Linux distributions.

I think its the layer on top that Apple finished and the volunteer at Ubuntu did not finish/polish.

Originally Posted by uc50ic4more

My HP printer install has been easier on several versions of Ubuntu and Mint than on any Windows box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back