Ubuntu is abandoning Unity, phone, UI converence

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might be one of the "finally" people, at least in some respects.
wink.gif

Unity was by far my least favorite.

Don't see it as a big deal though. I always use KDE or XFCE.

I really like Unity. If you don't like Unity, just use Zorin, all Zorin updated come from Ubuntu. And Zorin runs faster than Ubuntu.

I never did care for Unity, that's why I went with linux Mint. I can appreciate those who did like it, just didn't work for me.

i am with the hate unity users. i much prefer the cinnamon desktop, and at times Gnome. Mint is derived from Ubuntu as well, i'm testing Zorin in a virtual box now, i like it so far. i'll be a toss up between mint and zorin on my next pc build.

Originally Posted By: Bronco1
I never did care for Unity, that's why I went with linux Mint. I can appreciate those who did like it, just didn't work for me.

I never had a chance to use it. That interface was such a resource hog for anything I had.

I'm not a unity fan either, and glad to see it go. I've either logged in using the 'classic' desktop, or slapped gnome on my Ubuntu boxes.

I work differently on my phone than my desktop, and I find the division between each interface helpful.

This might get some more development activity around gnome again. I like the workflow in gnome but its hidpi support sucks. Cinnamon has a much better way of dealing with dual monitors like on a newer laptop with a hi-res display and a desktop extra monitor with lower res.

Don't use Ubuntu or its derivatives but live and work in fedora and rhel all day.

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
I abandoned Unity after a few days and went back to Mint. How will this affect Mint?

Mint was formed and popularized in no small part due to people's antipathy toward Unity. Luckily for Mint, enough people also feel contemptuous toward Gnome 3 - to which Ubuntu will be switching as of 18.04 - that I doubt anything will change for them.

Originally Posted By: ClutchDisc
I'm sticking with Mint - Never liked Unity, that was the reason I went to Mint in the first place.

They'll be reverting back to Gnome, who these days seems to be taking strides to revert themselves back to a normal, sane desktop interface. It will be interesting in the coming years to see how all of these projects balance the needs of the desktop with the drive to create a "convergent" UI that looks and works the same way on a desktop, laptop, tablet and phone. Although I was never a huge fan of Unity, I had hopes for it being The Chosen One for convergence. Oh, well.

Originally Posted By: Wheel
I work differently on my phone than my desktop, and I find the division between each interface helpful.

and wheel is a BSD group
smile.gif
Linux is for girl scouts

Unity wasn't that bad, and I used both 12.04 and 14.04 with it. Going (back) to Gnome is not that much of a change for users so I don't see where it will really make much difference other than getting the team focused back entirely on the desktop.

I don't really feel too strongly either way with Ubuntu moving away from Unity. It was a little rough when it first came out, but I'm happy using Unity on my HTPC currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back