Ubuntu 9.04 Released!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yay! This is a great looking release, lots of fixes, ext4 filesystem, lots of updated software. If linux or Ubuntu interests you, go grab a copy and try it out.

http://www.distrowatch.com

I'm grabbing my copies (x86 and x64) by torrent and will leave it up for a few days to seed. I plan to update my laptop running 8.10, but my desktop will stay at 8.04.2 for now!
grin2.gif

You can get it a little quicker at the Ubuntu site
wink.gif

http://ubuntu.com

Also, ext3 it still the default file system, and there have been reports of some data loss using ext4 in spite of the fact that it's been deemed stable.

I've had my "target practice" system up on 9.04 since Alpha 4, and it's been very stable. That even the alpha release was more stable and has better outta-the-box hardware support than any Windows machine I've ever used speaks volumes.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
You can get it a little quicker at the Ubuntu site
wink.gif

http://ubuntu.com

Also, ext3 it still the default file system, and there have been reports of some data loss using ext4 in spite of the fact that it's been deemed stable.

I've had my "target practice" system up on 9.04 since Alpha 4, and it's been very stable. That even the alpha release was more stable and has better outta-the-box hardware support than any Windows machine I've ever used speaks volumes.

Actually you are probably better off getting it via bittorrent, because the main site is getting hammered! Distrowatch has torrent links.

I've been pretty happy with it so far; I've been using jaunty since the beta came out. I've used reiserfs for a long time and haven't had any issues with it. However I decided to try ext4 for the main partition on this test install. According to bootchart I went from booting in about 40 seconds to about 32 seconds just by changing file systems. That's pretty significant both real-world and percentage wise!

I forgot some possibly relevant details. I stayed with ext3 for /boot because the ext4 in grub is not official (SCARRY!). Second, /home was already reiserfs and I didn't feel like doing the hokey-pokey with the 60GB of data there.

9.04 is the BOMB! Wireless works out of the box on an old Dell X300 laptop.

EVERYTHING works properly.

YAY! I doubt I'll be rebooting back into Windows all that often. Good riddance....

Originally Posted By: calvin1
I forgot some possibly relevant details. I stayed with ext3 for /boot because the ext4 in grub is not official (SCARRY!). Second, /home was already reiserfs and I didn't feel like doing the hokey-pokey with the 60GB of data there.

Converting any filesystems *to* ext4 will not extend the benefits of ext4 to those files, as they were written using ext3.

reiserfs is pretty smokin' fast, and journalled anyway, no? Or am I thinking Reiser4?

Auto updated last night (took 12 hours).

Very very happy so far. The glitch with my video card drivers has been fixed by the look of it, and now the children can play Nick Jr.

The suspend feature works A-OK. This really is the first version of any Linux on this X300 that works out of the box w/o tweaking.

Two thumbs up!!

Sadly, I had to do a re-install on my laptop, because the upgrade had issues.. I had installed .deb packages, and it didn't play well. If you heavily customize your installation, its better to do a re-install. On my reinstall, I switched / over to ext4 and left my /home as ext3. I'm working on getting all of my DRM m4p files converted over and then I'll not be dependant on Windows any more.

Is the decision to use ext3 or ext4 part of the install process, or is it a choice made after the install is complete? I'm just a noob user (have had Hardy on a Dell XPS400 for about a year). Planning to dual-boot 9.04 with Vista on another Dell.

I updated my desktop Friday, took almost all day since the servers were very busy. I usually download isos via torrent since it is much quicker and usually has less errors. I don't know what the fix was, but my Kubuntu desktop is now very fast. No lag or slowness, desktop effects are great.

I didn't think I would, but I may just update my Dell mini9 from Dell's version of 9.04. Everything works out of the box and with ext4 it may be faster. I have Netbook remix running off of a usb drive and I love it. Better then the dell launcher IMO.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
Originally Posted By: calvin1

Converting any filesystems *to* ext4 will not extend the benefits of ext4 to those files, as they were written using ext3.

reiserfs is pretty smokin' fast, and journalled anyway, no? Or am I thinking Reiser4?

The only conversions possible are ext2->ext3->ext4. I also have JFS, XFS & reiser partitions in use in various places because I think their strengths are a good fit for specific use cases I have encountered. There's no good way to convert any of those other file systems into ext4. I did eventually convert my reiser3 /home to ext4 after I saw the startup improvements that gave me on root. I cut my boot time from 42s to 18s: roughly half of my boot time was being spent initializing my reiser3 partitions.

reiser3 is still competitive in speed and stability, don't get me wrong. reiser3 was the first Linux fs to go journaled and to introduce many of the more advanced concepts that are now in ext4. If this were a server the 20s worth of extra boot time would be completely meaningless. However, this is for a dual-boot system that shares a CPU with my corporate desktop. It's there for me to sometimes do media transcoding and editing when I need. In that use-case the 20s is a lot more significant because I need to switch over to Ubuntu, get my files converted and switch back quickly before something urgent comes up on the Windows side.

Downloaded it and installed on my netbook on an 8GB SDHC. Going hard driveless FTW!

I should have used reiserFS since it does lag a little with ext4.

Originally Posted By: toytundranator
Downloaded it and installed on my netbook on an 8GB SDHC. Going hard driveless FTW!

I should have used reiserFS since it does lag a little with ext4.

Hmmm... ext4, as I recall, requires a boatload of HDD room and RAM for journalling, and is likely *not* the best choice for smaller setups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back