Uber, reluctant to become a user

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since we usually take early flights and would just as soon not get up at some insanely early hour to drive to an airport, we typically stay the night in a motel near the airport we're flying out and get free parking and a free shuttle to our departure terminal in the bargain. This pencils out as the least cost and least personal wear and tear option.
On arrival, you've either selected a decent hotel with a free airport shuttle or you're renting a car.
Little need for cabs or Scruber.
On those occasions when we're only spending the night and will leave the next morning and none of the places we'd want to stay have airport shuttles, we pay the twenty or thirty bucks for a cab.
Spending hundreds or thousands on a trip and then worrying about another ten or twenty bucks for ground transport strikes me as a prime example of being penny wise and pound foolish.
Uber is a virtual company so neither those who drive for it and make it possible nor those who use it for transport can expect much, very much like Shipt.

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
Originally Posted By: CKN
New York Report-
Leasing assured fleets of a pre-determined income for each shift worked. Leasing
also allowed fleets to drop employee benefits which drivers had previously
enjoyed, including health and pension benefits, employer contributions to Social
Security, scholarships, legal services, unemployment insurance and disability
insurance. (Under State law, drivers must be covered by workers compensation.)
• Accounting for both cash income and the value of these benefits, lease drivers
earned less in 1986 than did commission drivers in 1981, after adjusting for
inflation.
With incomes falling and then stagnant, taxi driving became a transient job filled
by an ever-changing mix of immigrants from over 80 countries.

http://www.schallerconsult.com/taxi/taxifb.pdf

To think Taxis are a "cut above" Uber is ridiculous.

One...you are citing a report from when?
Two...you have not provided any information on Uber drivers so you can't make the claim what is ridiculous or not.
Three...this report is specific to NY. Its a big country and I take taxis in several parts of the Midwest, Rockies and West Coast and they all say they are better off driving taxis an limos than driving for Uber.
Four...chill out.

There is no reason to think that things have changed since the date of the report. There is no reason to think in Chicago, Los Angeles, or any other major cities that things are any different. Taxi drivers HATE Uber drivers-I would expect them to state exactly what they told you.
Finally-Uber drivers have a high turn over rate as well. As I stated-I have proven taxis are not a "cut above".

Finally-if I "chill out" it makes me nervous!

Last edited:
OneEyeJack said:
In Southern California, the media does not consider negative stories about Uber to be newsworthy.

One of the biggest problems in America today (IMO), is that the media decides what stories to pursue and what stories to BURY....Some call it 'fake news' but it's really selective reporting based on the beliefs of the so-called 'journalist'....

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
In Southern California, the media does not consider negative stories about Uber to be newsworthy. In one case east of San Diego, an Uber driver beat and raped a young female passenger. It turns out that no background check was done or any drug testing. The woman was horribly beaten and thrown out of the car and the story hardly raised a ripple in the media, anywhere. Uber's response was that their legal staff was there to protect Uber but that the driver was an independent contractor and it was up to the driver to provide for his defense and other expenses. The driver was charged with many other sexual assaults including a disabled 13-year-old girl. Uber's response was to go on a massive PR campaign and suddenly offer even greater incentives to new drivers. Later it turned out that no upgrade in background or drug testings was ever introduced into their system.

One example link. Many drivers of this caliber have worked in the Uber system and may be currently working there, now. The turn over is very high. After being hired and working for some period drivers have been fired when criminal records show up during traffic citations, insurance cancellations, and accidents.

Uber is kind of the "in-thing" for people with a smart phone and it's cheaper than a taxi except during "surge-pricing" when it's very much more expensive. Fares on holidays and other busy time have been up to 7 times the published rates. So, just get out your smart phone and go for a ride.

When your wife or other loved one gets into an unmarked car driven by an Uber driver there's a good chance nothing bad will happen. But if it does the outcome will certainly be between you and that individual and the local authorities because Uber does not take part or have any interest in the process.

Thanks Jack,

These are the type of negative news reports I have read about Uber and also about Uber drivers having to take unfair labor practices to court.
Lets face it, Uber is cheaper than a cab and the way to do that profitably is to fleece your drivers and/or hire drivers that are less skilled or un-employable at a traditional cab service.

Uber at the moment is just like Netflix delivering DVDs years back before streaming. The idea is eventually add driverless cars that pick you up and a platform to do that.

There are no real numbers out there if riding in Uber is less safe then a cab. Google taxi violence and plenty appears.....

Originally Posted By: madRiver
There are no real numbers out there if riding in Uber is less safe then a cab. Google taxi violence and plenty appears.....

Technically I think it might be more dangerous in a cab. There are stories of cab drivers attacking riders etc., and it's up to the rider to figure which taxi driver it was afterwards. With Uber, they always know who the driver was. On the other hand because Uber doesn't do as good a job screening their drivers as taxi cab drivers, they could have more bad drivers. But in MA, they just finished rescreening Uber drivers and a lot of them with records and old convictions that didn't initially show up got kicked out. Again it all goes back to media reporting, it's fun for them to be alarmists about new technology, but ho hum about a taxi cab assault that happens on a regular basis but doesn't get report. Sorta like how the fender benders never make it to the news, only good deaths are.

I've had only positive experiences with Uber and Lyft. My wife and I work across the street from each in downtown Houston so we carpool. Occasional one of us ends up having to work late so i'll take the bus out to the bus stop here in the suburbs and then use uber to go from there to my house so she can keep the car. Or if I'm working really late after the last bus leaves and she takes the car then I'll take uber from the office to home. I like it way better than the cabs ive used around here. The conversations are always pretty good and the cars have been clean.

We use uber monthly to get to and from the local bars.

Austin has 3-4 different apps, and Fasten is my favorite one, and they treat the drivers the best (according to what the drivers tell me).

We use Lyft also, all over Austin and San Antonio.

I have only had one bad experience, we relied on uber to get to the F1 Grand Prix in Austin a couple years back, after the race, they jacked the rates up 10x-15x based on demand, and wanted $150 for a 20 minute ride.

We used another app and paid a normal rate, but I was so mad at them after that.

I think they call it surge pricing, when a lot of people want to use ridesharing they jack the rates up high to entice drivers to go out there and meet the demand.

Uber has been OK to us. But we always use it with near airport parking at a much lower rate (package deal). Parking near SFO for any length of time can be hazardous to your wallet ...

Last edited:
The yellow taxi industry in New York City was a friggin monopoly. A medallion is needed, and the number of medallions is limited to a fixed number. The medallion owners all charged the exact same rent to the independent drivers. The fares were regulated. There was a shortage of cabs on the streets at the busy times and a surplus at the slow times.

I'm the last person to suggest that more technology is the answer to any and all of society's problems. But Uber used technology to break the New York City medallion monopoly. It seems to have shaken up the taxi business in other non regulated locales with the possibility of better service and cheaper fares than had been provided by the full time taxi drivers.

Originally Posted By: SeaJay
The yellow taxi industry in New York City was a friggin monopoly. A medallion is needed, and the number of medallions is limited to a fixed number. The medallion owners all charged the exact same rent to the independent drivers. The fares were regulated. There was a shortage of cabs on the streets at the busy times and a surplus at the slow times.

I'm the last person to suggest that more technology is the answer to any and all of society's problems. But Uber used technology to break the New York City medallion monopoly. It seems to have shaken up the taxi business in other non regulated locales with the possibility of better service and cheaper fares than had been provided by the full time taxi drivers.

It still is a monopoly. You can't hail an Uber from the streets. That's what the medallion allows, passengers to hail cabs from the street. On the other hand if you call or otherwise arrange a ride with a service directly, that's not regulated by a medallion. That's why there were always "black cars" before Uber and limo companies that you can contract with directly for a ride. I used them before Uber and they were much nicer and cheaper than taking a cab. They usually hung out at hotels or the office had a contact so they'd just set it up for you. Now it's just gone the next step where you don't even have to call, you just use an app on your phone. That's basically what Uber is.

Originally Posted By: SeaJay

This is why Taxi drivers HATE Uber/Lyft. The Cites/Authorities keep them separated for pickups at Airports/Cruise Ship Ports/Bus and Train Terminals, and any where else where they used to have a monopoly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I still don't understand why people would drive for Uber or Lyft and make peanuts while taking on ALL the risks... ?

While the money is terrible-it's complete freedom to set your own hours.....that's why! Risks-I am venturing to say most who drive have very little to PUT AT RISK. If you have assets-you better have an separate insurance policy to match.

Last edited:
Less than a Starbucks wage to put all the miles and wear on your vehicle, while being a 1099 contractor. Not to mention picking up strangers with na
bad attitudes and run the risk of getting robbed.

A part-time Walmart shopping cart collector is a better job.

Last edited:
So far so good. Used Uber 4 or 5 times without issue. Last one I tried the pooled Uber to SFO because I wasn't in a rush. Added 5 min and saved some good money.

Less than a Starbucks wage to put all the miles and wear on your vehicle, while being a 1099 contractor. Not to mention picking up strangers with na

I've got a few friends who do this part time, and would disagree. Driving on weekends, their hourly earnings are significantly more than minimum wage, averaging $15/hr after expenses. They're insured to offset risk, and they can work whenever they want, just by jumping in their vehicle. I think the casual employment appeals more to younger workers, but they seem to enjoy it as a way to earn extra cash.

I'm not sure the risk of getting robbed as an Uber driver is that high. Most payments are through app and the driver doesn't have that much money on him as Uber use to discourage tipping. Plus Uber knows the passengers that are being picked up. And if the Uber drivers are serious, they'd have a dash cam that will also record their passengers. I think there's some video of an Uber driver getting punched in the head by a drunk passenger. Maybe that's the real drawback. I think the guy posted it and the passenger lost his job at Taco Bell. Getting robbed is more a risk for taxi cab drivers.

Uber and Lyft are safer than Cab (still safe) because there's record between drivers and passengers. Typically in my area they are 1/2 to 1/3 the price of a cab, still expensive but reasonable for the situation. They raise price during peak and you still might not get one spot.

I personally prefer driving myself and use spothero for cheap parking, but if necessary it is worth the convenient.

I still don't understand why people would drive for Uber or Lyft and make peanuts while taking on ALL the risks... ?

I've said this before but I'll repeat:

1) they cannot find work because they are not the best (i.e. too old, dark skin, not good with English, etc)

2) they like to work the hours they work, either drive peak hours only or a few hours here and there.

3) they either drive a prius or they drive their own old car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back