U joints for 99 toyota 4runner ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys, my 99 4runner U joints are starting to act up, got a napa, oreilly, and auto zone here in my area. which one sells quality u joints ? wana try to save a little money and stay away from oem if i can, thanks

Last edited:
Most are fine.NAPA sells Precision which is now labeled as MOOG.They are ok.

I used the Autozone HD joints before for my front axles and they lasted a year and a half with regular greasing. My mindset was much like yours at the time of purchase.

Never again will I buy cheap u-joints, sticking with the Dana/Spicers. The needle bearings in the Autozone joints were not worn but crushed to dust...

Stick to OEM even if it's twice the cost when it comes to parts like this. Seem too many cheap auto parts break. world Pac sells AWESOME parts. If you can get one from them. Otherwise just order it online with a Toyota dealer of your choice.

Stick to OEM. You can't beat Aisin/NTN in that regard. Toyota uses Spicer as a OEM on US-made trucks as well.

Spicer.

I broke an Alloy USA X-joint in half. Swapped to Spicers and they've held up awesome (and that's with 300+lbs of front tires).

Spicer, pass on the greaseable ones. The tunnels in the body make the u joint significantly weaker.

Another vote for Spicer/OEM Toyota. I learned the hard way that Spicer is the best you can buy. I also agree use the regular sealed u-joints, they are a lot stronger. My truck had sealed Spicer OEM u-joints, they lasted over 152,000 miles. I tried using aftermarket Brute Force u-joints, they did not work very well, did not fit exactly right and I had driveline vibration problems. I wound up removing my driveshaft again and taking it in to a driveline shop to have it balanced and they took one look at it and said the u-joints were not fitting correctly. They balanced the driveshaft and put in new Spicer sealed u-joints and it has been fine ever since. I got a refund on the Brute Force u-joints.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back