U-haul car haulers have a chain at the rear of the trailer

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
U-haul car haulers have a chain at the rear of the trailer that both acts as a safety from car rolling off the trailer. The front tires are secured with tire harness tightened by ramps, and wheel chocks built into the trailer to prevent the vehicle moving forward during braking.

I am a huge proponent of tying down a load, and actually the straps over the body do provide supplemental safety- but the damage to the body from the straps is a no-go.

Straps could have been run through the rims if supplemental strapping was desired. Should note that truck looks like a 1/2 ton, and that vehicle looks pretty heavy, and the Uhaul trailer is super well built but heavy, so that truck may be near/at/exceeding its towing capacity. The trailer has surge brakes (not electric brakes).
247955398_10227307568819996_4561198933836102875_n.jpg

Know what you mean but most modern 1/2 tons can tow 12,000 lbs which is quite a bit more than that car and trailer. :)
Yes, you are correct.

That U-haul has a 2" ball.... sure it is safe it carefully moved..... but not to my safety liking. Not a lot of room for error.

Know what you mean but most modern 1/2 tons can tow 12,000 lbs which is quite a bit more than that car and trailer. :)

Some modern 1/2 tons can tow 12k with the right combo of engine and options. Max towing numbers are with low trim standard or extend cab 2wd big motor and towing package, hard to find. Top trim crew cab 4wd is far less. Usually payload and/or tongue weight is exceeded before max towing.

Ok, the Dodge Magnum weighs 4300 lbs and the U Haul car carrier weighs 2200 lbs for a total of 6500 lbs. This is doable with most 1/2 tons. In fact, find me one that can’t. It’s also a tandem axle trailer so the tongue weight is decent. Yes, the straps are suitable for a load of lumber but strange for a car.

Last edited:
Not many Magnums on the road anymore. That paint is going to be rubbed raw in spots if that thing is towed more than 10 miles or so. Being strapped down like that with the suspension fully compressed probably isn’t great for the shocks either.

I don't believe the weight is a problem at all having towed a similar setup a couple times with my 1/2 ton. He may regret his strapping method tho.

Not many Magnums on the road anymore. That paint is going to be rubbed raw in spots if that thing is towed more than 10 miles or so. Being strapped down like that with the suspension fully compressed probably isn’t great for the shocks either.
yeah exactly the car is going to bounce on its suspension and chafe.

I sold my Biscayne (sob) and the guy buying it had one of these trailers. Actually a very nice setup. Two straps for the front tires and two chains to chuck over the crossmember/ rear axle.

Hey, at least the guy's driving in the right lane...

I learned how to strap a car down to a trailer in my teens working for a race team. This was not the proper method, lol!

We always went through the wheels, around the control arm, or rear axle to avoid the suspension bounce and unloading of the straps. You have to watch out for brake lines.

just my $0.02

I’ll demonstrate I know nada about towing.

What are “surge brakes?”

Traditional trailer brakes are run through a 7 pin connector and you need a brake controller in the tow vehicle. The controller adjusts the amount of braking applied.

Surge brakes are integrated into the tongue of the trailer and as the vehicle slows down applies pressure on a mechanism that applies the brakes. There is no 7 pin connector with surge brakes, you use the 4 pin connector for the lights only.

just my $0.02

Traditional trailer brakes are run through a 7 pin connector and you need a brake controller in the tow vehicle. The controller adjusts the amount of braking applied.

Surge brakes are integrated into the tongue of the trailer and as the vehicle slows down applies pressure on a mechanism that applies the brakes. There is no 7 pin connector with surge brakes, you use the 4 pin connector for the lights only.

just my $0.02

Thanks for the reply!

Is one brake setup more preferred over the other, i.e., safer/more effective?

I like the ratchet strapped hooked to the wheel well cover on the trailer. very sturdy metal there. /s
That's the first thing I noticed besides the obvious. Those fenders have no structural support on that outside edge, usually just a stiffening rod in the center. Horrible location to place a strap.

This is one of the funniest things I've seen in awhile.

Back