Tyre Review: American All-season Generals vs. Winter Generals on a VW

The Grabber Arctic is a studdable tire, which has harder rubber than studless winter tires. Studded tires are illegal in the UK

Studdable tires have harder rubber to accommodate the studs.

I don't think he emphasized enough the advantage 4 winter tires had - and I think he over emphasized the advantage an 4WD system has even with All Season tires.

To me the key to winter driving is the ability to stop - and he didn't even test the 4 winter tires - but based on the acceleration test, the 4 winter tires would have been the best.

The one glaring error seemed to be the 40 kph to 20 kph, where the 4WD with All Seasons did better than the 2WD with winters on the rear. That doesn't make sense. What was he using on the front? If he was using the same All Season tires on the front, then the time to slow with the winter tires on the rear should have been slightly better. I think there is something else going on here!

As a matter of tire traction, any Winter tires on the vehicle should be superior. But there is another important variable.

I have explained here multiple times why 4WD vehicles usually brake better in poor traction than 2WD. It has to do with driven wheels keeping the wheel speed close to the vehicle speed, thus avoiding the abrupt transition from static friction (driving/braking/steering) to dynamic friction (sliding). In other words, it is easier to transition to locked-up or ABS-invoked condition with 2 of the wheels on a 2WD.

I get blown off or contradicted. But hey I only have a decade of professional experience programming large vehicle dynamics on unimproved roads.

yeah that's true. with 4wd either 1 wheel on each axle locks up (highly unlikely) or they all maintain the same speed. At least with no center differential and no way for the car to disengage 4wd under braking.

The review may or may not be flawed. It's still better than guys on this forum reviewing tires when their vehicles have 150,000 or more miles on the odometer with the original suspension......................

Nothing new here, the test was only valid for all the major parameters including which specific tires, use of a RWD pickup as the 2WD vehicle, ambient temperature, and snow vs ice density.

It shouldn't be a choice of either-or if your climate needs both, though as long as you aren't getting stuck, driver experience can make due with either configuration or neither. As always drive an appropriate speed for your vehicle and the road conditions. This makes stopping distance far less relevant, except going down steep icy hills and a wise driver wouldn't even attempt that with a RWD pickup with less than studded winter tires.

Back