Typical Radiator and Water Pump Life

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a 97 SC1 with over 100 miles on it and have had it for almost 5 years now. So far nothing has had to be changed on it. I have a 05 Gran Caravan that had to have the EGR and water pump replaced at about 50000 miles. Friend of ours had the same thing at about the same time with theirs also. The dealership said that it wasn't unusual for the water pump to be replaced then.

On my old 2.2L OHV cavalier I had the Water pump fail at 78k. Luckily I had purchased a A1Cardone 'Severe Duty' water pump online a couple months prior and quickly installed it.

The radiator has no moving parts, but the massive amounts of expansion and contraction will take their toll.
Water pumps obviously have seals that will leak.
At 150K, you are smart to get the components.
But why not put them in now if you have them? Do it at a good time for you. I couldn't resist.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
But why not put them in now if you have them? Do it at a good time for you. I couldn't resist.

Because my fresh Prestone Dex-Cool is not due for a change for another 5 years or 150,000 miles.
wink.gif
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: toytundranator
When I plan to do the water pump/timing belt change in my tundra at 90K, I'm planning to change the radiator too as a preventative action with an aftermarket brand, since some toyota rads have a atf tank in the rad that can easily leak.

Anyone know a good brand? I'm looking at Performance Radiator brands that can hopefully last long.

A much cheaper way would be to bypass the factory cooler with a larger atf cooler with a internal bypass. I thought about going this rout in my Tacoma but im playing with fire since i change my coolant every two years anyway...im thinking neglect caused those internal coolers to burst.

If you have road salt in your area the rad can rot from the outside in. Upper hoses will wear out b4 lower ones, because they are exposed to more heat (hot water in, cool out the bottom).

I've got 258,100 km (161,313 miles) on my original radiator (2000 Montero). I religiously flush out the coolant and replace the hoses and cap every 40,000 or 50,000 km (25,000 - 30,000 miles) at most. Water pump is now replaced every second timing belt change.

my radiator cracked at 90K, on the plastic sides

GM V8s like LT1 LS1 and up have cam driven water pumps, greatly increases the life as bearing side loads from belts are eliminated

The neatest cooling system accessory I've ever seen is the low coolant level sensor on my BMWs. It is just a float with a magnet on it that holds a reed switch shut until the level drops and it opens. I ve got abot 250k miles n the radiator. I change the water pumps ever other timing belt , about 120k .Coolant about every 2 yrs

My Saturn also. That is basically what alerted me to the bad water pump. The coolant light came on. By that time the pump seal was hemorrhaging antifreeze.

I think it has to do with the type of water pump and radiator. If the pump is driven by timing belt, most advise to change with timing belt since its very expensive to change the water pump on its own.

If you have a water pump on a GM V8, then wait until water comes out of the weep hole.

Most radiators are not fixable. Some replacement radiators are fixable (lots of brass).

I recently bought a '96 SL-2 with the radiator hairline crack below the inlet fitting, the car has 134k miles. Replaced the radiator this weekend, will keep an eye on the water pump.

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
They both will last a lot longer if the cooling system is religiously maintained. That includes complete coolant changeout every two years.

Or every time you replace the water pump (timing belt).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back