typical oil burn rate? such a thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi-
i've got an acura rsx type s. it's an i-vtec dohc inline 4,16 valve engine. anyone know the typical rate of oil being burned in a "broken in" engine?

would adding new oil interfere with my oil analysis?

thanks.

From what I've heard, this car does burn a qt every 3k or so. Try doing a search on here, I believe someone else had the same problem with this car. What oil are you using now? If consumption is an issue, it's really not the oil but the engine. You can slow it down by using a heavier weight oil. I'd say Amsoil's 30wt. line might be good for this case over M1 due to it's lighter visc. NOAKS are all so close that I don't even look at them anymore. All the good syn lubes are between 6-10%. I'd say try Amsoil S2k, but I don't think it's worth the $$. Adding new oil of the same kind your using might beef up the TBN a bit. Most cars use oil, just depends on the engine, driving habits, age of car and oil your using.

[ May 22, 2003, 06:06 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

re: "I believe someone else had the same problem with this car."

Huh? Did I miss something? What problem?

Today, most manufacturers will say that usage less than 1 quart every 1,000 miles is acceptable.

sorry for not searching. i forgot about that. thanks for the replies. i've heard that, in my vehicle, the distance between the upper and lower fill mark on the dipstick is about a quart. i guess i've burned about a quart in 2000 miles worth of driving. i'm using 0w-30. also, i've been driving my car pretty hard lately. i guess the combination between 0w-30 and my driving hard lead to this oil consumption.

quote:

i'm using 0w-30. also, i've been driving my car pretty hard lately. i guess the combination between 0w-30 and my driving hard lead to this oil consumption.

No need to apologize. I just recommended searching bc you could get more answers then I could give you.
smile.gif

What brand of 0w-30 are you using? Mobil 1 0w-30 does have consumption issues. The V-Tec engines aparently do consume more oil then normal. All engines consume so amount, but i think these engines drink a bit more.

[ May 22, 2003, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

You may want to try 5-30. I would try 5-30

What year vehicle and how many miles on engine? Whats the recommended oil weight for the vehicle?

quote:

Originally posted by Amkeer:

What year vehicle and how many miles on engine? Whats the recommended oil weight for the vehicle?

i am using mobil 1 0w-30.

quote:

Originally posted by Amkeer:

sorry, my last post was meant for the other person.

anyway, i may switch back to 5w-30. it's a 02 rsx type s with 17000 miles. the recommended weight is 30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back