Typical GM management

Status
Not open for further replies.
Constant Negative News article will be a great kick off for a lousy thread that will wind up locked …

Quote:
Typical GM management

I will say they took our talented CEO after he got an award for a "GM supplier", this was before 2008 recession.

GM needed to get rid of all the excess, which they did. Also, EU tastes and customer expectations are quite different than in NA, so I can see it being very difficult to manage these brands, share platforms and parts to manage cost.

Honda and Toyota would be gone by now or only present in Japan, if it weren't the NA market, because in EU they continue to fail time and time again.

Originally Posted By: philipp10
Originally Posted By: jk_636
Very fake news

numbers don't lie...

Depends on whether you think not considering all the information "lying" or not.

PSA is running the Opel business much differently than GM was. Under GM, Opel was essentially a full manufacturer. That included an engineering and business center in Rüsselsheim and many manufacturing plants. Opel was directly involved in engineering and manufacturing automobiles, as well as sales, service, and marketing in the EU and UK.

Under PSA, Opel has an entirely different business model. Engineering activity has ceased. Manufacturing is limited to the build-out of existing GM product until they can be re-tooled to build PSA products (or simply shuttered). Opel is transitioning to being just a marketing unit for PSA products with an Opel or Vauxhall badge. Why is PSA running the business like this? First, because they can. With GM's obligations to Opel and their workers, they could never have pulled this off. Second, because it makes sense. Everything PSA has cut is redundant to what they're already doing in Paris.

GM actually did something quite similar with Holden. Holden used to engineer and manufacture vehicles. Now they simply sell and market other cars from the GM portfolio. Not to single out GM here on this one; Ford and Toyota did the same thing in Australia.

The cost savings, and subsequent profit for PSA, is due to the business model shifting. It is a fundamentally different business strategy. There is no A:B comparison to what PSA is doing compared to what GM was doing.

Meh...color me unimpressed. Save for GMC trucks, Corvette, and Camaro, the overall brand could fade into oblivion. I shopped a Cadillac before buying a C300 for my wife, it was not comparable in quality or features. I have owned more GM vehicles than any other brand, but these days I would not give them a second glance.

Very fake news

numbers don't lie...

What numbers did you check … GM has posted lots of good quarterly results …

Very fake news

Not really. Not the first time for GM to manage to mess someting up!

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Very fake news

numbers don't lie...

What numbers did you check … GM has posted lots of good quarterly results …

Good quarterly results
laugh.gif
How much tax dollar is involved?

PSA makes joke cars that are made with cheap materials. MY cousin down in Mexico had a Peugot and it was total garbage. No airbags and the door knob fell a year later. That's why they make money. He ended more times in the mechanic than he wished for. On the good side, he didn't have to spend much.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
PSA makes joke cars that are made with cheap materials. MY cousin down in Mexico had a Peugot and it was total garbage. No airbags and the door knob fell a year later. That's why they make money. He ended more times in the mechanic than he wished for. On the good side, he didn't have to spend much.

Agree they are not the best in quality. But opel is not much better, or sometimes worse.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Meh...color me unimpressed. Save for GMC trucks, Corvette, and Camaro, the overall brand could fade into oblivion. I shopped a Cadillac before buying a C300 for my wife, it was not comparable in quality or features. I have owned more GM vehicles than any other brand, but these days I would not give them a second glance.

I agree, but that's all American marques are: muscle cars and trucks. I am glad they focus on those.

Last edited:
....and what's the big warning regarding "negative" stories or the thread being locked?

I didn't know GM sold off Opel and Vauxhaul either.

Frankly, there wasn't too much in the story but I'm glad it was linked to.

Originally Posted By: Kira
....and what's the big warning regarding "negative" stories or the thread being locked?

well,
2018 Buick Regal TourX = .......... 2018 Opel Insignia Wagon....

I wonder about parts availability in US in 5 years.
....Beside Buick's non-existent effort to sell the car....

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD

Although I recently purchased a 2017 Impala for my wife last November, it will be a long time before I ever purchase another GM truck!
My last POS 09 Sierra was plagued with problems and from the reading I did and the stories I heard from friends, I was not alone!

GM trucks here in Oshawa were their best selling vehicle but GM management decided to shut them down. The quality and workmanship were second to none and its why most Americans wanted an Oshawa built one.
I knew many people who worked in the truck plant. They couldn't build them fast enough but for whatever reason, GM decided to shut them down/push them out.

My BIL, who had 30 yrs in there, said the GM bigwigs came in one day and made a ton of changes all designed to p*ss off the employees and change how things were run.
He said he knew what was coming based on those changes but could never figure out the mentality of the GM execs for shutting down the most productive, profitable truck plant in North America.

Originally Posted By: pandus13
Originally Posted By: Kira

well,
2018 Buick Regal TourX = .......... 2018 Opel Insignia Wagon....

I wonder about parts availability in US in 5 years.
....Beside Buick's non-existent effort to sell the car....

GM sold off Buick last fall.. How is a 2018 Opel still a Buick? Seems a bit odd I guess that they'd even be related?

The original German made Buick sold here in the US was pretty dang sharp. Aggressive looking rims, manual gearbox etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back