Type of oil in a propane 4 cyl forklift?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello to all!

i just joined last night for fun. here it is the next day and i need help. i don't know what kind of engine oil to use in this Clark forklift. It is a 4 cylinder propane fueled engine. I do not know the model but the only 2 clues that may help is it says "Clark Equipment" on the valve cover and has a One Source brand oil filter number PH8A.

Thank you for all your help.

thanks a barrel. (har har) anyway, thanks for your help. I'm a passenger vehicle tech and am finding out, by way of this forklift, they are theoretically the same, with their own quirks. didn't want to blow it up.

is that compression oil or spark (ignition) oil?

thanks again

Last edited:
The LPG engines' oil suffers from high nitration. What oil is best for that, I dunno besides RLI Biosyn.

See if you can reference the owner's manual for general info.

17.5 years of working at a Clark dealership the oil to use is a HDEO. Probably a C500 40?ish .I think the oil filter may be the trans filter.

Originally Posted By: kellee
hello to all!

i just joined last night for fun. here it is the next day and i need help. i don't know what kind of engine oil to use in this Clark forklift. It is a 4 cylinder propane fueled engine. I do not know the model but the only 2 clues that may help is it says "Clark Equipment" on the valve cover and has a One Source brand oil filter number PH8A.

Thank you for all your help.

I have a Caterpillar T30 lift truck and I use Amsoil Natrual gas engine oil, you can ask Gary Allen or Pablo BITOG site sponsors about the product, I will post up some information below, It performs great all year long and I have had it in my lift truck now 4 years.

SAE (20W)-40 Synthetic Natural Gas Engine Oil (ANG)
Formulated to Provide Top Efficiency in Engines Fueled by Natural Gas

Low Ash, API CC

5-Gallon Pail
55-Gallon Drum

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
AMSOIL Synthetic Natural Gas Engine Oil (ANG) was developed to deliver unsurpassed performance in natural gas engines calling for an SAE 40, low-ash (
Performance Without Compromise
AMSOIL Synthetic Natural Gas Engine Oil’s low-ash formulation minimizes combustion chamber deposit formation, critical in continuous operation applications. AMSOIL ANG also significantly reduces valve recession, a common problem with other low-ash oils. AMSOIL Synthetic Natural Gas Engine Oil is thermally stable, allowing it to combat oxidation, oil degradation and internal deposit formation.

Maintains Viscosity
AMSOIL Natural Gas Engine Oil is a true straight-grade SAE 40 oil, offering maximum protection against viscosity loss while minimizing internal oil consumption. Field studies have reported up to a 50 percent reduction in internal oil consumption when compared to competitive oils. Due to its synthetic formulation, AMSOIL Natural Gas Engine Oil does not thicken as readily and qualifies as a multi-grade SAE 20W-40 oil without the disadvantages that come with the use of viscosity improvers. This allows the oil to be used over a broader ambient temperature range and in many cases eliminates the need for a conventional multi-grade product.

Extended Drain Intervals
AMSOIL Natural Gas Engine Oil may be used for extended drain intervals when monitored by an oil analysis program. Periodic oil analysis should be conducted at the engine manufacturer’s recommended drain intervals. Change the oil filter at the recommended engine manufacturer’s drain intervals.

MIXING AMSOIL
AMSOIL Synthetic Natural Gas Engine Oil is compatible with conventional petroleum oils and other synthetic lubricants; however, mixing AMSOIL Natural Gas Engine Oil with a petroleum oil will reduce the drain interval of the AMSOIL Natural Gas Engine Oil. Engine oil additives or after-market products are not recommended for use with AMSOIL Natural Gas Engine Oil.

APPLICATIONS
AMSOIL Synthetic Natural Gas Engine Oil is recommended for use in natural gas fueled engines requiring low ash engine oils including the following:

• Buda
• Case International
• Caterpillar
• Climax
• Cooper-Bessemer
• Cooper-Enterprise
• Cummins
• Detroit Diesel
• Dresser-Rand
• Fairbanks-Morse
• Hercules
• Ingersol-Rand
• Minneapolis-Moline
• Onan
• Roiline
• Stewart-Stevenson
• Superior
• Wartsaila
• White
• Worthington

Note: AMSOIL Synthetic Natural Gas Engine Oil should not be used in automotive engines that have been modified to use propane or natural gas.

I have seen LPG powered forklifts with Mitsubishi and Nissan engines running Delo 400 straight 30 with over 25,000 hours [oil changes between 150 to 250 hours] still running great why use Amsoils expensive N.G. oil which isn't needed and the N.G. oil is only needed for stationary engines that run at a fixed rpm like big converted diesel engines run in generators .The manufactures do not recommend or require a N.G. oil in their LPG engines infact with their N.G converted engines they still do not recommend a N.G. oil because it is not needed .

Originally Posted By: bruce381
text book use a low ash LPG/propane Oil that said at work we whatver is laying around.
bruce
Only in stationary fixed rpm engines .where the low ash helps prevent ring sticking and deposit formation.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
I have seen LPG powered forklifts with Mitsubishi and Nissan engines running Delo 400 straight 30 with over 25,000 hours [oil changes between 150 to 250 hours] still running great why use Amsoils expensive N.G. oil which isn't needed and the N.G. oil is only needed for stationary engines that run at a fixed rpm like big converted diesel engines run in generators .The manufactures do not recommend or require a N.G. oil in their LPG engines infact with their N.G converted engines they still do not recommend a N.G. oil because it is not needed .

I used it in mine just so I could leave it in the engine for a few decades that I will own the machine and not have to change it every 100/250 hrs. Rather pull UOA and leave it in. Why buy a more expensive oil in the long run when a cheaper alternative is avaialble? You know it is no fun changing oil in a lift truck!

N.G.oil is the wrong oil for the forklift. period. IMO you can use any oil you want. If you jack it up to lube it, blow off the dirt so it won't catch on fire change the filters it is not hard at that point to change the oil.

If I have a T30 Caterpillar Lift truck using Propane for fuel, What would Cat recommend for lubricant? I dont know the year of my lift truck I tried researching it and I cant find anything.
It has a 4 cylinder engine and runs great. Why do you think it is ok to use engine oil that is made to combat petroleum gasoline used in a gasoline engine in my Propane run lift truck?

Because I worked at a forklift deakership for 17.5 years.That sold Nissan ,Clark, Linde Baker,Daewoo and American lincoln sweepers .Plus worked on all sorts of diesel trucks. tractors used for sweepers and what ever our customers asked to have fixed [repairs minor and major overhauls etc]. Been through all the above listed brands factory training and know what is the proper motor oil to use in any feuled option . For the real answer I read the operators manuals. Why would you think you should use a N.G oil in a LPG engine ? I know whay a N.G oil is designed for infact Clark Forklifts have/had an N.G. option instead of LPG and the recommended oil is not a N.G oil.

find me an operators manual for my Cat T30 lift truck then!
want some pictures?
I would like to find out what Cat would recommend.

Flathead, giant spark plugs and electronic ignition.
I aint calling no dang CAT dealer!
I dont want to lose my temper talking to a illegal alien

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back