Two women already camping out to save $300 on TV

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is just nuts...
https://www.yahoo.com/tech/two-california-women-already-in-line-at-best-buy-for-102539063964.html

Quote:

Two California Women Already in Line at Best Buy for Black Friday Deal(ABC7)

These Black Friday shoppers will not be denied their slightly cheaper big-screen television.

Two California women, ABC7 reports, have been camped outside of their local Best Buy since the middle of last week. The friends, equipped with blankets and snacks, are set to post up for a solid three weeks, hoping to be first in line when the store launches its Black Friday sale the evening of Thanksgiving.

And, no, it’s not even the newest Apple gadget they’re after (the typical prize for electronics-loving sidewalk queuers) — it’s a $199 50-inch HD TV, regularly priced at $499.

“The point is to get the sales, because everybody is on a fixed income and we don’t have that kind of money to splurge,” the husband of one of the women, who is there to hold their place in line in case either have to leave, told ABC7. The TV the group hopes to get will replace a set that recently “gave out.”

So good deal on a TV, sure. But forfeiting the majority of November with the single goal of outfitting your home entertainment system on the cheap may still sound like foolishness to many.

RELATED: Time Is Money: Chrome Extension Tells You How Many Hours You’d Need to Work to Afford That New Gizmo

Get their bargain TV they will, however. And being ahead of the pack could save the pair from dealing with the fuss and violence that regular Black Friday-goers caught smack in the middle of the yearly deluge of deal-seekers have been known to experience.

A not-so-merry site, blackfridaydeathcount.com, actually displays a running tally of the number of Black Friday injuries and at-least-sort-of-related fatalities that have occurred each year since 2006. And a simple YouTube search will bring up a plethora of videos showing the dark side of Black Friday crowds.

So much for holiday cheer, right?

The good news: The earlier and more segmented Black Friday launches this year, coupled with time-frame windows of “guaranteed price” deals (like what Walmart does), could do wonders to break up the large, late-night packs of disgruntled and sleep-deprived shoppers we’ve seen in past seasons. So if snagging the best gadget present for yourself or a loved one is your focus this year, it might be more doable (and safer) than ever before.

Which really makes us ask: Why are these two women already in line for a TV? Wonders never cease.

This article says they have been there for a week already...
http://patch.com/california/banning-beau...-friday-deals-0

22 days camped out to save $300 on a TV because "fixed income?" Yep, makes total sense, going to work is for suckers.
33.gif

Originally Posted By: article
The point is to get the sales, because everybody is on a fixed income and we don’t have that kind of money to splurge,” the husband of one of the women, who is there to hold their place in line in case either have to leave, told ABC7. The TV the group hopes to get will replace a set that recently “gave out.

Perhaps, if they were actually working rather than spending their time watching the idiot box and camping in front of a store, they would actually have a little extra money to spend.

They must not realize that many credit cards have price matching benefits that will extend to black friday deals. Discover card does this...

So go buy now whatever model will go on a super duper deal on black friday, and then submit a request with discover card once the ad prints out and in a bit of time they will credit you back the difference.

I feel the goal here is to get on the news / tv more then anything. I bet next year we'll hear of someone camping out since October and then September the following year. These idiots have nothing better to do.

I honestly have NEVER even gotten up early to go Black Friday shopping. Heck, I don't even remember the last time I went to the store on Black Friday. I usually spend that crazy day indoors eating leftovers. Haha.

Beaumont is hardly a destination and as such there's apparently not much to do. Perhaps their time could be better invested at a gym?

Disclaimer: I don't own a television.

I went to store on Black Friday afternoon/evening few times the last 10-15 years. The store(s) wasn't more crowed than normal weekend.

I could not even thinking about wake up early (like 6-7 AM) to get any special anywhere.

Lately, I just do Cyber Monday shopping online. I didn't go anywhere on Black Friday.

On any given day you can get a TV for free. just check the curb or local ads: there are plenty of good sets available for free. yes, they will be projection or CRT, or maybe a smaller flat screen - but they work fine and you dont have to camp out for them.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

22 days camped out to save $300 on a TV because "fixed income?" Yep, makes total sense, going to work is for suckers.
33.gif

Best Buy does a ticket system. On BF morning they go down the line hand out tickets for the hot items (if they have 20 TVs they have 20 tickets, etc.) Then you take your ticket to CS to buy the item. What these women are doing is getting the max amount of tickets for each "doorbuster" item (2 per person per item I think), and then selling them to people at the back of the line. You can make a nice chunk of change doing this.

Oh and they get to be on the local news lol.

Originally Posted By: Artem

...I honestly have NEVER even gotten up early to go Black Friday shopping. Heck, I don't even remember the last time I went to the store on Black Friday. I usually spend that crazy day indoors eating leftovers. Haha.

Then you Sir, are the Lucky one.
Between My Father and I,we have worked EVERY Black Friday....(both career Retail)

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I went to store on Black Friday afternoon/evening few times the last 10-15 years. The store(s) wasn't more crowed than normal weekend.

I could not even thinking about wake up early (like 6-7 AM) to get any special anywhere.

Lately, I just do Cyber Monday shopping online. I didn't go anywhere on Black Friday.

by 6am you've Missed the Big Deals. Most years they started @ 5, then lately, some went to 4, then midnight, Then 8pm the night before, and now, some stores just have Black Friday Week, or Black Friday Month.

Camp out a week or even a month or more to make $50k-100k is understandable. Camp out 3 weeks to save less than $300 ($300 less than regular price which rarely sold at that) is hard to understand.

IIRC, the housing market in CA in early 2000's was red hot, most new developments were sold out before started. To buy one of those units you need to be the firsts inline, someone camped out for several weeks to get the purchasing ticket and sold it for $50 or more, in some cases the ticket was sold for more than $100k.

On Thanksgiving, I'll give thanks that my time is far too valuable to spend THREE WEEKS! sitting outside a store to save $300.00.

Went "Black Friday" shopping last year Thanksgiving night for the first time. Scored some nice sunglasses, a few movies and a video game. We must have missed the main hoards because it was actually pretty relaxed.

No way would I sit outside like some out of work toad. The women say $300 is a lot to save? Even at minimum wage between the two of them, $300 in 3 weeks is very easily obtainable. They're most likely on sucking on the government cow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back