Two Students Expelled For Kissing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

COLUMBIA, S.C. — The families of two Richland County high school students kicked out of school for kissing on a school bus are challenging a decision to expel the pair, an attorney said Tuesday.

Dominique Goyner and his girlfriend were expelled by the school board in October for the rest of the academic year, after they sat next to each other on the bus and kissed a few times, said Russell Brown, the boy's attorney.

School officials told Jody Free her son was being removed from school for "sexual misconduct."

"I saw the tape. They kissed maybe two minutes and the rest of bus ride home they leaned back on seat and that was it," Free said. "Had it been anything different, I would have said 'OK you two have to suffer the consequences."'

The district won't comment about the case, but stands by the decisions made by its officials and school board, spokeswoman Theresa Riley said.

A message left for the girl's attorney was not immediately returned Tuesday.

Goyner, who has received awards from Bythewood High School's ROTC, said he knows he was breaking a rule, but was shocked by the response from school officials. He is being home-schooled and hopes the expulsion won't stop him from attending a military academy after graduation.

"It hurt me deeply," he told Columbia television station WOLO. "I was shocked. I didn't think it would go this far, to the point that I would be expelled from the district."

The school board refused to overturn its decision, but the families plan to appeal in circuit court, Brown said.

"What we have here, in my opinion, is an overzealous enforcement of a rule," he said.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,326657,00.html

Quote:
Goyner, who has received awards from Bythewood High School's ROTC, said he knows he was breaking a rule, but was shocked by the response from school officials

PDA is a big thing these days on public school grounds across the country. A similar thing happened here last year. A quick peck on the cheek is one thing, but a 2 minute make out session...hey, he knew the rules!

i'm all for it 'cause i never kissed anyone in high school and neither did the people who are punishing these two reckless teenagers.

So which rules are we allowed to break and which one are we not allowed to break?

2 minutes of kissing caught of video? The act violated the rules.

I really don't see the problem. If the community doesn't like rules, throw the school board out and change the rules. That's how it works here.....ignoring rules has sent us down a very slippery slope.

Originally Posted By: MarkC
Ridiculous.

Yep, total waste of tax payer money. I could maybe see this if they were more "involved", but kissing? Nothing more than a warning is warranted if this is a first offense as it appears.

agree mechtech2. seems draconian.

Pablo,
Are you then for installing a GPS within every car (or other such device) so that tickets can be automatically issued if you go over by even 1 mph in every cicurmstance even though many speed limits are nuts to begin with?

aldaris,
that's too funny.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
Pablo,
Are you then for installing a GPS within every car (or other such device) so that tickets can be automatically issued if you go over by even 1 mph in every cicurmstance even though many speed limits are nuts to begin with?

Of course not. I'm not saying we all don't push the rules nor am I saying being expelled for kissing is a bit ridiculous. However a 2 minute kiss (yuck, indeed which sicko timed it?) on a public school bus is WAY out of line. Come on guys get real. School can be for social interaction, but it's primary purpose is what? Is school for how close we can come to doing the dirty deed without being nekid on the bus? They crossed the line, do the time. (And yes I'm realistic, it's not the school's place to stop two hormone addled kids from humping like rabbits in the bushes, but this was a BUS!!)

Newsflash! Kids have been kissing, making out, and far more, for centuries, despite whatever rules have been in place, and it's not going to stop.
Who among you never kissed a girl at school or on the bus, or...
Oh wait, never mind.

Pablo, they indeed crossed the line. At issue is the draconian punishment. A three day suspension is one thing, but expelling? If a rougue (timed) 2-minute kiss is "sexual misconduct", one would expect the "dirty deed" to qualify for "aggravated" sexual misconduct in the view of the school board. At what punishment, stoning to death? The punishment does not fit the crime.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ccs v2.0
The punishment does not fit the crime.

If I read the snippet correctly, the local school board did think that the punishment fit the crime. That's what they are there for - so long as proper procedures were followed, it's not mine, Pablo's, your's, or a Judge's place to be second guessing them.

Win,

So, are you saying that they are infallible?
My take is not a guess.
Do you not agree with this either?

Originally Posted By: Pablo
If the community doesn't like rules, throw the school board out and change the rules.

Last edited:
I don't know if they are or they are not.

We are talking about rules right? As in, it was a rule not to make out on the bus and not merely a suggestion?

The locals elected their local school board to make the rules; they made the rules; they decided what to do when they are broken. If the locals don't like it, they can vote them out.

As long as due process was given, it's their call.

Originally Posted By: Win
Originally Posted By: ccs v2.0
The punishment does not fit the crime.

If I read the snippet correctly, the local school board did think that the punishment fit the crime. That's what they are there for - so long as proper procedures were followed, it's not mine, Pablo's, your's, or a Judge's place to be second guessing them.

I'm with benjamin, just because the school officials believe the punishment fits the crime doesn't mean that it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back