Two small often overlooked features I love/miss when I don't have them

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2024
1) Auto up/down windows - push button all the way down or pull all the way up and release to lower/raise windows.
2) "comfort" blink (as VW calls it) - push turn signal stalk slightly and release and it will blink a set number of times (usually 3-4).

These two are minor but my even '18 base model VW has it. When I drive my '03 Passat it only has auto up/down for front windows and no comfort blink which I detest (no comfort blink). My '13 Focus has the auto up/down only for the driver's front window and one of the upgrade features to move up a trim level I recall was auto up/down for all 4 windows. It also has comfort blink.

Agree. I really wish I have auto window for all. Especially when I'm driving & need to shut driver side window & need to open both rear windows for my pup.
Suzie.jpg

Agree. I really wish I have auto window for all. Especially when I'm driving & need to shut driver side window & need to open both rear windows for my pup.
View attachment 153264
These are the seemingly small things that often are overlooked when deciding on a trim level and could push up the ladder so to say.

I do miss auto up/down. Haven't gotten used to the blink feature on wife's Camry though, largely because it's first time we've had it, and I rarely drive that car.

What I miss are dome lights that time out. Mine are basically on a switch with the door--close the door and the light goes out immediately. No 30 second delay.

I also miss having a rear defroster, but that's a different issue (I was careless in removing some bad tint, my fault entirely). Heated mirrors, don't have those either but now that I have a garage it just hasn't been a problem, go figure. :)

I bought an old car 7 years ago that had power door locks but not remote entry. I though I'm old, I've had cars before that you had to use the key every time but after a couple months of putting the key in the door I couldn't stand it. Oh the hardship. Bought a remote for the doors that included remote start. Best thing I ever did.

1) Auto up/down windows - push button all the way down or pull all the way up and release to lower/raise windows.
2) "comfort" blink (as VW calls it) - push turn signal stalk slightly and release and it will blink a set number of times (usually 3-4).

These two are minor but my even '18 base model VW has it. When I drive my '03 Passat it only has auto up/down for front windows and no comfort blink which I detest (no comfort blink). My '13 Focus has the auto up/down only for the driver's front window and one of the upgrade features to move up a trim level I recall was auto up/down for all 4 windows. It also has comfort blink.
I was under the impression auto up / down windows in the back became illegal at some point for safety reasons - lest your kid gets there head stuck https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/why-car-power-windows-work-differently/

My 2019 Toyota has the comfort blink, and I really like it. Its only 3 blinks though. Apparently I could up that if I got techstream working.

On the wife's Gladiator Rubicon the power windows are low in the center of the dash - no auto up so you have to stretch over and hold the buttons up until windows are closed - ridiculous to me. Must be a safety thing I don' t know.

I bought an old car 7 years ago that had power door locks but not remote entry. I though I'm old, I've had cars before that you had to use the key every time but after a couple months of putting the key in the door I couldn't stand it. Oh the hardship. Bought a remote for the doors that included remote start. Best thing I ever did.
My dad was so excited in 2015 with his brand new Outback to show me keyless entry.

Memory for adjustable petals and seat. I am much taller than my wife. The car would remember the petal position and seat position from one driver to another with the push of a button. All that was in a Chrysler 300C. None of that in our VW or Grand Cherokee (lower trim models, I understand.

Memory for adjustable petals and seat. I am much taller than my wife. The car would remember the petal position and seat position from one driver to another with the push of a button. All that was in a Chrysler 300C. None of that in our VW or Grand Cherokee (lower trim models, I understand.
I do like the multi profiles for seat and mirrors...I get the pedals too and it would be nice if our Atlas had that as well.

I’ll get pummeled for this.

lexus has the start button and pocketed key fob. The convenience for it trumps the fords old school key. I can slide it into park and mash to “stop” in such a single fluid motion you’d think a ballet choreographer would be inspired. My bitog brain cells want to prefer the key, though I know the ecu is doing all the work. But the “get in and go” part of me enjoys keyless.

volvo had the best auto climate control. Everyone else is just pretending. Also, their auto wipers were better tuned than anything else I’ve known.

I still have two cars that use physical keys; invariably I get seated and remember that the key is still in my pocket.
As for features I have grown to love, I'll vote for a surround view camera/sensor system and an app that lets you monitor the car's status as well as send destinations to the navigation system.

Out of 5 we have one push-botton, the rest keys. Doesn't make a difference to me. I actually like the Passat b/c it's old enough you don't need to push the brake pedal to start it with the key.

Back