Two routers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some rooms in my apartment do not receive a useable signal from my Time-Warner installed Arris TG1672G modem/router. I am considering adding a Lynksys EA8500 router which Consumer Reports rates as very good for far throughput. My question is, will multiple routers interfere with each other? Is there a better way to improve coverage? Thanks.

You need wireless access points. Generally people use the term 'router' as a catchall for router/firewall/modem/switch/wireless AP, because the cable company uses that term for a multifunction device.

You don't need another router (which sends traffic to the internet); you need to expand your wireless infrastructure.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
You need wireless access points. Generally people use the term 'router' as a catchall for router/firewall/modem/switch/wireless AP, because the cable company uses that term for a multifunction device.

You don't need another router (which sends traffic to the internet); you need to expand your wireless infrastructure.

This. A gateway/router is unnecessary here, keep your current one and add an access point.

You can do fake WDS by assigning it the same SSID and passphrase so you don't have two different wireless networks you connect to.

some of these folks are over reacting a bit. i get their point about not needing another router per se, BUT, most of the time a repeater/range extender costs more than a second router, and you can configure the second router to act as a range extender/repeater.

that's what i've done.
at this moment, i forget the steps needed in the setup, but it's easily googleable.

You can use a second router IF you turn off its DHCP server.

I have a pair of these.

I assume you'll run cat 5 to the second router? If wiring is too permanent for you, get the range extenders others recommend.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
some of these folks are over reacting a bit. i get their point about not needing another router per se, BUT, most of the time a repeater/range extender costs more than a second router, and you can configure the second router to act as a range extender/repeater.

that's what i've done.
at this moment, i forget the steps needed in the setup, but it's easily googleable.

Login to the new router. Give it a LAN IP address within your current subnet. So if your current range is a 192.168.1.0/24 you could give it 192.168.1.254 provided that IP is omitted from the DHCP table on the primary router. Disable the DHCP server on the new router. Save your settings. Then connect it up to your network via one of the LAN ports, NOT THE WAN PORT. Then login to it via the new IP address you assigned it and give it the same SSID and passphrase you have on the primary router. You now have turned it into a cheap access point.

Flanso-

Nobody has suggested the basic starting point.

If possible locate your wireless router in the center of the house / center of activity. Its usually considered better to place it high, central, away from kitchen appliances. Worst case scenario is cellar by furnace ductwork in a corner of the house. A good router or second access point can be had for $25 online or $100 in Staples or Best Buy. I've had pretty good luck with repeaters, but they can be a lot of trouble too. I wish you luck.

I bought two Ubiquiti Unify AP access points, around 70 bucks each, and now there is network throughout the apartment. Thank you for all the suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back