Two rides, two oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to decide how I am going to use up my oil stash between my two vehicles.

The stash is 21 quarts of SN rated Valvoline MaxLife NextGen (three jugs 5w-30 and one 10w-30) and 45 quarts of SM rated G-Oil 5w-30.

The vehicles are those in my sig:
-2002 Chevy Suburban 1500 4x4, 5.3L V8. Primarily used for hauling the kids to/from church, the park, play dates, etc., and the family for whatever we are doing on the weekends. Most trips are at least 15 minutes long with 10-12 of those being highway, although traffic can stretch that to 30 minutes in stop and go. It gets a good 30 minute run on the freeway at least once every two to three weeks. Driven fairly conservatively but sometimes I like to put my foot down. Has a cat-back exhaust and intake tube, headers will go on sometime (soon, I hope), and I plan to get a mild tune. No real offroading. Will put on about 10,000 miles per year and the OLM told me to change the oil at about 4,500 miles last time and just under 5,000 miles the time before (had a 750 mile road trip with 95% 70 mph freeway in there). All oil leaks have been taken care of (LIM, oil pan, and RMS) and it only consumes about 1/2 quart over the entire OCI.
-2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GT, Supercharged GM 3800 Series III V6. Used as a go-fer, ocassionally for the same 15 minute trips as the Burb, and as a "commuter" car, but because I work from home and am out and about on a sporatic schedule that could mean three 150 mile round trips one week, nothing the next, and a mix of 50 to 80 mile round trips every day the following week. Also driven pretty conservatively but I do like to let the SC get in some work from time to time. Estimate 12-15,000 miles per year. No mods. I am on my first fill with this car and the OLM will hit 0 at just under 9,000 miles. The oil pan gasket (RTV) is leaking a bit and it consumes oil at about 1 quart per 4-5,000 miles.

I want to stick with one oil for each vehicle in order to be able to run UOAs and stretch the OCIs based on the TBN and TAN figures. So I was thinking of using the MaxLife in the GP due to the consumption and at 10k OCIs it will take me 2.5 to 3 years to go through it all. Also, the Burb's shorter OCI (I have read here that G-Oil is not good for extended OCIs) and larger sump mean that the 45 quarts of G-Oil will last me about 3.5 years.

Thoughts?

Sounds like a fine plan to me. Then when it's all used up after 3.x years, you can just go with Amsoil for both and really extend your intervals.
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back