Two oil filters I haven't heard of

I think I mentioned this in a previous post, but I would be wary of buying filters through Amazon. There are a lot of counterfeit products that flow through Amazon, since they barely do any type of scrutinizing of the products sold on their site...we've found some really scary-quality filters that were Fleetguard knock-offs being sold on Amazon from a "Cummins Filtration" account that was not us...we don't even sell products through Amazon. Ye be warned!
EBay too. Counterfeits there as well.

Any of XPR Racing Oils ...they are the best oils availble for Racing.
Doubtful.

RP lacks the relationships and resources to make that a reality. I can't think of a single racing venue where RP usage coincides with winningness.

In the 24hr cars its mostly well-known brands like Mobil 1, but also Ravenol (1st and 2nd at Sebring and Barcelona this year). In Top Fuel, Redline (now owned by CP) makes a very strong showing.

Is there actually anything out there made by Royal Purple that is 'best'?
With Fram's "Ultra faceplant", they've created room for RP to (sell) a Champ Labs filter that is comparable to the old OG Ultra. Yes, it's an Ecore, but efficiency isn't too far off the old Ultra, and they sell more applications than Fleetguard (Stratapore) and Donaldson (Blue) full synthetic filters. For the money (usually $11.99 each with free shipping for 6 from royalpurpledirect.com), for gasoline passenger cars, they're pretty much the best deal now.

With Fram's "Ultra faceplant", they've created room for RP to (sell) a Champ Labs filter that is comparable to the old OG Ultra. Yes, it's an Ecore, but efficiency isn't too far off the old Ultra ...
Royal Purple filters are ecore? With metal end caps or not? Don't recall seeing any cut & posts of that RP design.

Edit - found this video. If it has metal end caps with a good ecore design I'd go for that. I don't mind ecore center tubes as long as they are done right.

Last edited:
Here's a cut open video done earlier this year, but this RP filter has a metal center tube. So not sure when the ecore center tube design started, or if all RP filter models have the ecore center tube - ?

Here's another video done a couple of weeks ago, and shows the ecore center tube with metal end caps. But is that design only on some models - ?

Seems to have been in the last year, not sure if this is a cost saving deal? If it is, at least it still has multilayer synthetic media, better than sprayed on synthetic. Around here, the Ultras have ratcheted up in price, to $8.97 at WM & $10.99 at Meijer, while quietly switching to the "new & improved" design-the RP filters are pretty darn close in price!

Is there actually anything out there made by Royal Purple that is 'best'?
Their Synerlec additive oils have a pretty good reputation, like the HPS line and Duralec diesel oils. I've used their 15W40 full syn Duralec in a Cummins before, it did fine, but it was a Cummins-they'll run on anything resembling "diesel oil"!:LOL:

Back