Two Oil Changes, Filter Inspection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone, first post.
I did two oil changes recently and thought I'd share my findings. One on my own '97 BMW E36 2.5l and another one '06 Opel/Vauxhall Corsa C 1.0l (this one was long over due)

BMW used oil looked fine to me. M1 0w-40 New Life ran for about 10-12k km. I afterwards cut open and spread the oil filter for further inspection. I hardly found any shining particles of metal, but unfortunately a lot of dirt. The filter really worked here, maybe you guys may take a look at the pictures and tell me your thoughts. I should mention that I received this car recently, and it really had a hard time before. Even though only 80k km on the engine, it just did around 2-3km each day in the past with BMW 0w-30 Longlife-04 (atleast the grade was good for this condition). This was the first oil change interval with mostly long distance trips.

The second oil change was on the Opel. Mystery oil 5w40 grade was filled in, I finally changed it after 25k km. I screwed off the cap of the oil filter housing, expecting to take it off with the old filter. It did come off easily, but there was just one half of the filter on the cap, the other half still sitting on the pole inside the housing. I took it off and had to clean the housing off all the oil filter scraps. The filter material was really stiff and brittle like coal, it instantly fell apart by touching it. Filter function completely broken. I'm not quite sure if the filter was destroyed like this due to the longer interval or because the shop didn't even change it before. Your thoughts on that? I'm quite happy I have done this oil change and replaced the filter...

BMW with M52 engine oil filter

Opel Corsa C, Bosch oil filter, fallen apart, after 25k km

btw: Addinol 5w40 0540 filled in both engines now.

Last edited:
The Opel looks like it was not shown any love. That filter is very black. I'd like to see the condition under the valve cover.

Thanks for the pics.

Last edited:
The longer distance driving in your BMW gave your oil the chance to clean the engine and the filter did its job too. I would be tempted to run an approved combustion chamber cleaning product (Techron / something containing PEA) as well. On the oil side, keep doing what you're doing.

What is the manufacturer interval for the Corsa?

welcome2.gif

The poor Opal might be a candidate for shorter oil change intervals. It was neglected long enough for the filter element to embrittle.

That is unacceptably long and there's GOT to be dirt in the engine. Monitor how long it takes the new oil to get black and change it again.

A cheaper oil might be a good choice for the Opal since it might get dirty real fast.

BMW's filter condition isn't very good either. I mean the filter is doing good job catching many debris in the oil. I think you should do one or two short oil changes and with more highway driving for both cars.

Originally Posted By: JC1
The Opel looks like it was not shown any love. That filter is very black. I'd like to see the condition under the valve cover.

Thanks for the pics.

The valvetrain actually looked pretty clean from the oil filler cap, but I'm not quite sure if it got a new cylinder head.

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer

What is the manufacturer interval for the Corsa?

Says 30k km or 1 year in the official manual, this was 25k km now. I usually go with 10-15k km on petrol engines, shorter on those running in harder conditions.

Originally Posted By: Kira

The poor Opal might be a candidate for shorter oil change intervals. It was neglected long enough for the filter element to embrittle.

That is unacceptably long and there's GOT to be dirt in the engine. Monitor how long it takes the new oil to get black and change it again.

I will monitor the oil condition and will change once it starts to turn black. Even though the manual states 30k km OCI and this was after 25k km I will most likely stick to my regular 10-15k km for this one as well. I also don't trust the service sticker which states that the oil AND the filter were changed 25k km ago.

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut

I agree 100% with Kira, run a decent cheap dino oil for 5k km and change it and the filter. Use a good filter.

I agree as well, I usually use MANN-Filter products.

Thanks for your replies!

Last edited:
PLUS, I believe real cheap oil is available everywhere. If some jack does oil changes with cheap stuff he might still buy "name brand" (BOSCH-Whoop-dee-doo) filters because he's not in the position to buy cases of cheap ones.

The predominance of Volvos I look at have large black chunks in the oil fill necks. That's not a mark of quality.

I know there are cheap-O oil change places here in the US. Are there such things in the BRD?

If the Corsa's cartridge oil filter is easy to get to, I would check it in a few hundred miles to see what it captures.

Originally Posted By: DrDave
You commented that you found dirt in the filter. How do you know it's dirt?

Dave

Looks like carbon combustion deposits to me.

Originally Posted By: Kira

I know there are cheap-O oil change places here in the US. Are there such things in the BRD?

There are, but last oil change was made in a normal shop. I try to do it by myself if I have the time as I don't really trust shops and those cheap oil change offers.

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
If the Corsa's cartridge oil filter is easy to get to, I would check it in a few hundred miles to see what it captures.

Already thought about that, maybe do an early filter change in between the OCI. Very easy to get to, right on top of the engine under a plastic cap like on the BMWs.

Originally Posted By: CapitalTruck
It looks like that Corsa's filter has never been changed. I would go with a Hengst, which is probably OEM. They really work well.

Agree with the filter. I usually go with MANN or Hengst.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: DrDave
You commented that you found dirt in the filter. How do you know it's dirt?

Dave

Looks like carbon combustion deposits to me.

Sorry, I meant dirt more in general, everything besides shiny metal particles.

Thanks for your replies!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back