Two of TV's biggest disappointments

I agree with the "OP" on these shows. They leave much to be desired as far as entertainment and more importantly - Storytelling.

"TV" in general make me want to puke. I feel I'm actually losing brain cells while watching it. Even the advertising commercials (With huge budgets) are extremely lame and feel like they've gone through weeks of focus groups before even any director or creative person is allowed to enter the room.

Nope... Other than a few series or documentaries, I find "TV" to be a negative experience to be avoided.

most TV sucks. For awhile the buzz (I'm not very connected to "the culture"... actually "any"). As said I gave mine away 40, 50 yrs ago, have not looked back.
BUT, that buz recently was "TV is now better than movies" More money, thought going into it, better writers. So I cked it out. The images that flash over the screen are just too fast for me (boom, boom, boom). It seems oriented form those who need alota stimulation. Can barely follow the wrds they speak so fast (these are 'the nite time soaps'). Canned laugh tracks, etc.
Then there R the 'big productions' 'Thrones, Vikings, Hobbits'. A bit better plots w/some twists and unexpected turns. Still? I'd rather do something else w/that 'screen time' or better yet? non-screen usage entirely. I liked the "Lady w/the..." (Stieg Larsson) series of movies, the Bourne series, even tho a bit unrealistic Expendables and some others. I can abandoning skepticism, delaying disbelief (needed to 'get into' the lill screen) but only so much. These 'action/misterys' mentioned allow me to do so easily, seamlessly. DIY uTube is better (dont like FB's as it is less user friendly). 2Ḉ (or less) worth

The golden age of movies and television has come and gone... This younger generation believes there should be an explosion, gun battle, of 20 mins of car chasing and smashing sidewalk vegetable stands in every movie. It's utterly bewildering to me what passes-off for "entertainment."

?
"...They're both boring and they both lack..."
I thought PWMDMD got 2 pages, 30 responses of : "Correct, I agree." not a show
by show (the 2) Newyorker-mag-style critique. Hope U don't see my hi-brow and
eloquent pronouncements as spew, but offerings fit to study in depth and repeat
at each opportunity !

;^ )

Show ended and we watched Fawlty Towers next. Vastly more entertaining to me…
Wife and I stumbled across Fawlty Towers :ROFLMAO: summer we graduated high school in 1975 and were hooked instanly. This was before people could even tape television or movies. So, unless Tv (usually Public Service Television) stations ran a few episodes we went for years not seeing it again or even knowing how many episodes were created. When our sons were teens and by then you had cable , VHS etc... they got a chance to get introduced to the show. They enjoyed it as much if not more than we did. So several years ago one of them gave us the Box Set Fawlty Towers collection. Kind of forgot all about it until I saw it mentioned here. Going to have to dig it up. IMHO it is one of Britains funniest sitcoms ever made. What I found hillarious and amazing is that Manuel is not even the slightest of Spanish. Guess that is why they call it acting. Saw an interview of this elderly, very proper Englishman and had no idea who he was until they spoke of him playing his part as Manuel.... That is a part of the "special features" included in this Box Set Fawlty Towers collection. Ith as inteviews with most of the cast. It is DvD format but I am sure it was made at least 20-30 years ago. OOPs - this thread is about dissapointments. Fawlty Towers never dissapointed us.

I guess. I enjoyed Sopranos, Ozark and Breaking Bad. I just cant get into binge watching TV on a nightly basis. To each his own I suppose.
Its hard for me to keep up or follow any type of weekly shows.
We mostly watch movies or Nature / History / Mechanical / Arts & Craft or Outdoors type of stations. The wife enjoys those old comedy shows that Tvland plays at night when she is trying to relax.
`99.6% of Tv programming is offensive. The only time I watch Tv if I am visiting some one. It is really disgusting.
One of my sons dropped cable and went to some streaming services as he will not have his very young children seeing the trash they allow these days over cable and broadcast Tv. Even commercials have become far too explicit for really young children. Not religious prudes it just came to the point he + wife decided they would like to raise his own kids at their own time frame and not have to explain all types of sex & crazed content questions from very young children.

Back