Two new Mobil 0W-16 oils coming to the market...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any meaningful difference between "Mobil Super Synthetic" and "Mobil 1", other than less advertising?

Be interesting to see back-to-back VOA's.

The XOM enterprise does market equivalent to, or even better than Mobil 1 products for less $$ than Mobil 1, in bulk/industry-focused application marketing.

I am surprised that Mobil is still selling MSS much less continuing it into a new generation of oil class (xW-16). It is a niche oil that Mobil could never decide where it fit, it is typically sold in auto parts or variety stores by the quart, and is most cases vanilla M1 is cheaper.

Mobil Super uses specially treated Group II oils whereas Mobil 1 is group III+

Very odd they would sell 0w16 as anything but AFE.
What's next 0w16 HM?

Last edited:
They have been producing the Mobil Super Synthetic 0W-16 for years now. It's a GTL-based oil, similar to the TGMO 0W-16, which is also GTL-based, and as opposed to the PAO-and-AN-based Mobil 1 AFE 0W-16, all three of which are made by different divisions of ExxonMobil (TGMO being made by the Exxon Mobil Industrial Lubricants).

It is not possible to make an SN PLUS/Resource Conserving 0W-16 oil because SAE 0W-16 is not an ILSAC GF-5 grade and Resource Conserving is part of ILSAC. What you see on the data sheet is a typo. SAE 0W-16 will be part of ILSAC GF-6B when it's introduced on May 1, 2020, along with API SP, not API SN. They can then have an API SP/Resource Conserving 0W-16.

An interesting thing I see on the data sheet is that the density for the Mobil Super Synthetic SAE viscosity grades are all over the place, which is suggesting that they use all kinds of base oils, such as high-quality GTL or low-quality Group III, depending on the SAE viscosity grade. Normally the density tends to increase from 0W-16 to 10W-30 if the same type of base oil is used, as thicker base oils are heavier, also needing to consider more VII content requires thinner oil for a given SAE cold viscosity range.

Originally Posted by Rmay635703
Mobil Super uses specially treated Group II oils whereas Mobil 1 is group III+

Very odd they would sell 0w16 as anything but AFE.
What's next 0w16 HM?

Wrong. MSS is grp 3 and all M1 oils are considered grp 4. With that said all synthetic oils are a blend of base stocks for a higher quality lubricant.

What you said makes perfect since but how are SOPUS, Warren, Amalie, Amsoil, Chevron and every other oil manufacture who is producing SAE 0W-16 SN+RC geting away with it without the ILSAC certification? The API database list dozens of 0W-16 oils as SN+RC and the PQIA just tested Pennzoil Hybrid 0W-16 SN+RC and gave it labeling approval.

https://pqia.org/pennzoil-hybrid-sae-0w-16-full-synthetic-motor-oil/

I just bought this a few weeks ago and it's labeled the same.

20200220_191033.jpg

Originally Posted by Mike L. V.
What you said makes perfect since but how are SOPUS, Warren, Amalie, Amsoil, Chevron and every other oil manufacture who is producing SAE 0W-16 SN+RC geting away with it without the ILSAC certification? The API database list dozens of 0W-16 oils as SN+RC and the PQIA just tested Pennzoil Hybrid 0W-16 SN+RC and gave it labeling approval.

https://pqia.org/pennzoil-hybrid-sae-0w-16-full-synthetic-motor-oil/

I just bought this a few weeks ago and it's labeled the same.

Hmm, I don't know. These are quoted directly from the API licensing system:

"SAE 0W-16 and 5W-16 oils may only be licensed as API SN."

"Resource Conserving does not apply to SAE 0W-16 and 5W-16."

API engine-oil licensing and certification system -- addendum 1 (errata March 2015)

OK, that was the previous version. They made a change in the latest version, and xW-16 can be licensed as SN/Resource Conserving. I was outdated.
wink.gif

API Engine-oil licensing and certif...ition, June 2019 (amended July 10, 2019)

SAE 0W-16 and 5W-16 oils may only be licensed as API SN, API SN with Resource Conserving, API SN with SN PLUS, and API SN with SN PLUS and Resource Conserving. Beginning on May 1, 2020, SAE 0W-16 and 5W-16 oils may be licensed as API SP, API SP with Resource Conserving, API SP with SN PLUS, and API SP with SN PLUS and Resource Conserving.

I also see another strange thing in the latest specs. SAE 5W-16 is not included in ILSAC GF-6B. ILSAC GF-6B is limited to SAE 0W-16 only. I find this very strange. You can have an API SP/Resource Conserving 5W-16 oil, but it will not have an ILSAC GF-6B certification. I think it's a poorly judged limitation, given possible wear benefits of a 5W-16 over a 0W-16.

Anyway, the latest API licensing guide linked below is a dream read for oil enthusiasts.
wink.gif

API Engine-oil licensing and certif...ition, June 2019 (amended July 10, 2019)

Originally Posted by Gokhan
OK, that was the previous version. They made a change in the latest version, and xW-16 can be licensed as SN/Resource Conserving. I was outdated.
wink.gif

OK, because I was going to say what ELSE would a xW-16 be? It was certainly NOT created for engine longevity. ......

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
wink.gif

OK, because I was going to say what ELSE would a xW-16 be? It was certainly NOT created for engine longevity. ......

Why not?

wink.gif

How do you figure that reasoning? Toyota specs 0W-16 in their new Corolla. Can you name a longer lasting, more reliable compact car in the world? I am pretty sure the engineering team at Toyota knew what they were doing when they spec'd a 0W-16. 0W-20 shocked the world when it hit the market . 0W-16 will be more common in the coming years and there will be thousands of 250K mile Corolla doing just fine.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/most-reliable-cars-cars-that-last-forever

I am surprised that Mobil is still selling MSS much less continuing it into a new generation of oil class (xW-16). It is a niche oil that Mobil could never decide where it fit, it is typically sold in auto parts or variety stores by the quart, and is most cases vanilla M1 is cheaper.

Dealerships buy the crap out of this in bulk because they can get it so cheap and still meet the specs needed for the manufacturer warranties.

I have been waiting for this. GF6! Wonder which is better, Mobil Super Syn or Mobil AFE for 0w16.

Originally Posted by painfx
I have been waiting for this. GF6! Wonder which is better, Mobil Super Syn or Mobil AFE for 0w16.

Try them both out and let us know.

They have been producing the Mobil Super Synthetic 0W-16 for years now. It's a GTL-based oil, similar to the TGMO 0W-16, which is also GTL-based, and as opposed to the PAO-and-AN-based Mobil 1 AFE 0W-16, all three of which are made by different divisions of ExxonMobil (TGMO being made by the Exxon Mobil Industrial Lubricants).

It is not possible to make an SN PLUS/Resource Conserving 0W-16 oil because SAE 0W-16 is not an ILSAC GF-5 grade and Resource Conserving is part of ILSAC. What you see on the data sheet is a typo. SAE 0W-16 will be part of ILSAC GF-6B when it's introduced on May 1, 2020, along with API SP, not API SN. They can then have an API SP/Resource Conserving 0W-16.

An interesting thing I see on the data sheet is that the density for the Mobil Super Synthetic SAE viscosity grades are all over the place, which is suggesting that they use all kinds of base oils, such as high-quality GTL or low-quality Group III, depending on the SAE viscosity grade. Normally the density tends to increase from 0W-16 to 10W-30 if the same type of base oil is used, as thicker base oils are heavier, also needing to consider more VII content requires thinner oil for a given SAE cold viscosity range.

Valvoline, Pennzoil and some others already has 0w16 SN+/RC before Mobil 1. Those are wrong too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back